The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

questions about fuel pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VergeTSi

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 18, 2006
San Diego, California
I have a 2g gsx. I changed out my fuel pump for a walbro 190 fuel pump. I tightned down the white ring nut pretty secure. As I tapped it one last time for that extra tightening, it started to seep out of the white ring nut. So I backed it off and its holding fine under idle but when I drive it, it starts to leak again.

Now in the repair manual is highly suggest to use a brand new oem rubber seal, but the seal i had on there looked great still, can I still re-use that or do I absolutely have to buy another rubber seal? For a new one is 25 bucks!

I also noticed that the white connector that is connected to the fuel pump itself, well the top part is wiggling around and looks like it can leak out the top, can I JB weld that to seal it good? I wouldn't think RTV would work for its sealing fuel.

I also noticed that after the install of the fuel pump, my gas gauge would not move. It doesn't have a reading of fuel. Does this mean I need a new fuel sending unit? I checked the connections and they are all good. If so, can I take out the second fuel sending unit behind the drivers seat and move it over to the one connected to the fuel pump?
thanks guys

It would be better to buy another o-ring, you should be able to get it from any hardware store, just take the original and show it. This is what i did, because i simply, do not like the stock way, it causes too much troubles. I did cut the metal pipe on the pump assambly and attached a hose with 2 clamps on each side, and its been holding very well, and i don't need to think about any o-ring falling off or leaking. Whatever you choose to do, do it right. Good luck. :thumb:

Hey thats a good idea. That damn fuel line is a bi*** to move around while trying to put the o-ring on. Thank i'll give it a shot. What about the fuel sending unit question?

Sometimes, when installing a new pump, somehow you manage to get the sending unit stuck. To test it you take out the assambly, and move the lever up, the car has to be on ACC, and tell a friend to watch the gauge, it should slowly start to climb, you will notice there, that its working, but make sure to reinstall the assambly with some care, or it can go bad. If the sending unit is broken, check the little cable that goes to it. Good luck. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back