The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

question on welding repair for tubular manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirrofab

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2006
gouldsboro, Pennsylvania
purchased a tubular manifold that has 2 small cracks in the lower section of the pipes by the base of the flange for the turbo to bolt to. I can see the cracks from inside the piping and from outside however it is next to impossible to fit the welder in between the pipes to fix the crack so I would have to weld it from inside the flange. does anyone see an issue with this? My concern is the weld not holding for whatever reason and being sucked into the turbo. I guess though that if its an experianced welder and if enough heat and penetration is achieved then the weld should technically be stronger then the metal around it. Maybe I'm worrying to much. This tubular manifold looks to have been repaired before so once its fixed I'm going to add a few braces to it as it will be holding a Holset 35 off of it and they are not exactly light.

I could also have it welded in a way as to almost stich the pipes together from the base of the turbo flange and go up a few inches until the pipes start to bend away from each other but I think that may be overkill.

Stick welder time? LOL Take it to a welding shop and see what they can do for cracks and bracing. LOTS of bracing.

get it from the inside. if the person knows how to weld you shouldn't have anything to worry about. definitley need a few braces welded in to support that turbo. in all honesty.. i would buy a diff manifold for that turbo.

Pics of the manifold or cracks?

If your welding the cracks, you don't need to weld on the inside of the manifold. There is no way you can fit a torch on the inside of the manifold tubing.You can just weld the outside on the cracks. They have a flux that brush's on to the inner piping that, once welded, will hold just as strong.
Just bring it to a PROFESSIONAL welding shop, if you want it done right.

you should ditch that manifiold and get even a cast one that is of better quality. The manifold you have now will just keep cracking, and be more grief then what its worth.

you should ditch that manifiold and get even a cast one that is of better quality. The manifold you have now will just keep cracking, and be more grief then what its worth.

Once I brace the hell out of it I'm sure the cracking will stop... or atleast be manageable. I spent about a 120 on this so i don't just want to toss it. It will be welded professionally but I was just concerned on wether to have it done from the inside or outside. Thanks for the advice!!!! Once I get it fixed and completly braced I'll have it heat coated. I may even think of a brace that would go from the frame to the exhaust with an adjustment sleeve. The car has solid motor mounts so engine flex won't be an issue causing more stress on the manifold. Ot atleast brace it from the motor mount itself. Thats just a far out idea though.

I'm currently taking wleding classes at my local college. If you get really good penetration and weld in some braces, you should have nothing to worry about. If you can't do it yourself, take it to someone who is a AWS certified welder. He/she should have no trouble fixing this issue. Good luck.

Post a picture of the said cracks. By the way your describing it. It doesn't sound bad at all. I've had to repair quite a few manifolds that have cracked near the flange and never have had to weld them from the inside. I hope you don't plan on mig welding the cracks. You don't have to go to crazy with the bracing i normally weld some ss square stock from the turbo flange to the head flange and call it a day.

Post a picture of the said cracks. By the way your describing it. It doesn't sound bad at all. I've had to repair quite a few manifolds that have cracked near the flange and never have had to weld them from the inside. I hope you don't plan on mig welding the cracks. You don't have to go to crazy with the bracing i normally weld some ss square stock from the turbo flange to the head flange and call it a day.

I dont have any pics of the manifold on the computer that I can easily post. The cracks are to small to show up with my camera on top of it. The piping isn't aluminum so I have no choice but to either stick weld it or mig weld it.

The piping not being aluminum has no matter in what process of welding you would use to repair the manifold. Tubular manifolds always get repaired with TIG. If you were a bit closer i would say bring it to my shop. But since your not just bring it to a welding shop have it re tig welded and braced properly.

IIRC, there is a boss on the front of the motor, Run a 1/4-3/8 steel brace from there to the turbo manifold flange. THis will provide you the strongest brace to support the turbo from.
Don't try to rigidly mount the exhaust to the frame, as there is always some engine vibrations, and you will surely crack again. Even with a "brace" that allows linear movement, the manifolds thermal expansion will not be limited to one direction.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back