The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Question On Tial Wastegate and Smell

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeWyoRksPLaYaZ

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2011
NY, New_York
Hey guys, I have a quick question on my wastegate. I know its a Tial but dont know the mm size.

The question is when I am cruising or just driving for that matter, if I open my windows even the slightest bit or all the way I smell exhaust fumes, same with my sunroof. If I open or tilt it, its insane how much it smells like exhaust inside. Now I went and got every single possible exhaust leak fixed and it has ZERO exhaust leaks. It helped the smell a bit but its still there.

Today I had the car running while looking under the hood I tried smelling all over the engine bay for any type of smell and the only one place I smell exhaust(very strong) is directly by the waste gate. Could this be the reason why it smells horrible in my car constantly if any window is opened and only when the car is in motion? Also is there any way I can maybe route the exhaust exit of it to the bottom or all the way to the back of the car?? :confused:

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated as I am getting so many headaches due to the smell and today was a warm day and with no a/c in my car I needed to have windows down.

Pic of wg
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm guessing your wg is dumping to the atmosphere? If you recirculate it back through your exhaust you shouldn't smell it as much anymore.

I am almost positive it is because at wot I can hear the waste gate, its almost louder than the turbo and exhaust combined LOL. How would I re-route it back in? Judging by the pic, is it re-routed? Sorry for the noob question I honestly have no clue on waste gate's besides their function. Where does the exhaust exit from on there?

It has a 6lb spring if that matters.

It exits straight down out of another tube called the dump tube. Thats the one the you might consider rerouting back into the exhaust system. Will help on the smell and the sound. Also check to see how long the dump tube is and where it is routed. Maybe just extend it some more to get it away and under the car if its to short or routed badly. How much boost are you running? Its most likely open most of the time with a 6psi spring. Do you smell it more when driving then idle?

Currently at 6lbs and I do notice a tube going down from under the waste gate. Ill try and take a look and see where it goes exactly. With the hood closed and at idle I smell nothing and its perfectly fine. The min I move above id say 10mph and windows down I smell it.

I'd bet you're running rich. And when you boost you smell the exhaust out the dump. I'm sure at idle if you smell your actual exhaust, it would smell the same.

it does smell the same at my exhaust but my car only runs rich when I hit boost. At idle it actually runs lean like in the low to mid 15's(afr)

Come on guys, this is middle school stuff.

You: Driving at 45mph
Wastegate opens: woooshhh

pressure on the outside is high and the pressure inside the car is low. What naturally happens? The high pressure system is going to want to move to a low pressure system because its going to take the path of "least resistance"

Thus the smell of the un-filtered exhaust gets trapped all over in your car.

Speaking of middle school thinking... I think you just took the prize for dumbest post I've read since signing up. And that is no mean feat.

The BOV is for evacuating the charge pipes on the intake side of the system when the throttle closes.

They are talking about the wastegate, which is for bypassing the exhaust gases around the turbine to limit boost.

Also, in either instance.. it is the internal pressure that is high. Be it the charge pipe or the exhaust manifold.. No matter which side of the system we are discussing you have still got it completely wrong ROFL

This is merely a case of the exhaust exiting in front of the passenger cabin.

Pressure on the outside is low, and pressure in the cabin is high by the way. Fast moving fluid is lower pressure and before you go internet expert on us again..

How do you think a plane takes off? Bernouli's principle explains that it is the faster moving fluid flow over the top of the curved wing that is subjecting the wing to lower pressure than the slower moving fluid along the underside, and it literally sucks the plane off the ground. This is what we refer to as lift.

Speaking of middle school thinking... I think you just took the prize for dumbest post I've read since signing up. And that is no mean feat.

The BOV is for evacuating the charge pipes on the intake side of the system when the throttle closes.

They are talking about the wastegate, which is for bypassing the exhaust gases around the turbine to limit boost.

Also, in either instance.. it is the internal pressure that is high. Be it the charge pipe or the exhaust manifold.. No matter which side of the system we are discussing you have still got it completely wrong ROFL

This is merely a case of the exhaust exiting in front of the passenger cabin.

WTF my car does the same thing when ever the wastegate opens and the windows are open. I have a dump pipe that vents out exhaust gases to control boost levels. So is there something i'am not understanding?

Yes. Much.

Your wastegate is dumping raw exhaust in the engine bay, which is in front of the passenger compartment. Eddy currents will draw some of it in with the windows open.

For instance the air flowing over the open sunroof will help draw some air through the door windows and out the roof which will lower the pressure some locally, but all the air in the cabin aft of the windows and sunroof will provide a buffer against some of the air coming in the open windows, but inevitably some still makes it in. Which is why you smell it.

The flow is very turbulent with pressure differentials abound. But in general what I described above is what is being experienced.

Yes. Much.

Your wastegate is dumping raw exhaust in the engine bay, which is in front of the passenger compartment. Eddy currents will draw some of it in with the windows open.

I cannot believe i did not say that on my post, thanks for cluing me in :thumb:

Now I went and got every single possible exhaust leak fixed and it has ZERO exhaust leaks.

If you still smell exhaust, then no... you didn't; including that HUGE one on the bottom side of the dump tube if it isn't recirculated. :)

If those are copper WG gaskets (which it sort of looks like), good luck. You'll probably need to tighten the WG bolts at least 4 or 35 times to get them to stop leaking, unless you have a really rare WG with perfectly aligned flanges. I'm still running copper gaskets simply because I haven't gotten around to swapping them back out again; I just gave up on trying to seal them completely.

Dump tube is recirculating back into the exhaust (down pipe) right around my front o2 sensor. I dont see a gasket in between the manifold and the gate. Ill go to autozone and pick up a gasket and see it will helps.

Here is a better pic

Ehhh.... did you notice that big leak where the WG outlet is just slipped into a tube welded to the downpipe?

And your O2 sensor should be upstream of that. If it's not, your AFR is probably whack due to air being drawn in during exhaust pulses.

Lol Ill be honest I didnt notice that. How can I seal that without it being permanent?

And that o2 sensor you see is for my wideband, but my first o2 sensor is right on the other side of the down pipe. Is that a bad location?

Lol Ill be honest I didnt notice that. How can I seal that without it being permanent?

Weld it. Removal is what the WG flange and bolts are for.

Tack it in several places with everything bolted up nice and tight, and then have it TIG welded, being careful to avoid excessive heat and prevent warpage.

And that o2 sensor you see is for my wideband, but my first o2 sensor is right on the other side of the down pipe. Is that a bad location?

Not if you fix the leaks. :)

oh wow I cant believe I didnt see that LOL. Ok cool ill get that welded up. Thanks alot Calan I appreciate the help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back