The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Who do I test the IPS!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTUDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2005
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Hey guys,how do i test IPS? Because i think its bad (not working).

I tried unplug the ISC and idle changed, was kinda surging. I plug it back and it was ok. Then i unplugged IPS, the idle didn't changed. I thought my throttle cable was too tight, I loosen it up, but still the same thing.
Where does the IPS wire comes from to the sensor, straight from ECU?

The green IPS wire goes to the ECU.
Unplugged from the switch there should be 5v or 12v (Depending on the ECU) on the wire with the ECU turned on.

The IPS should have continuity to ground with the throttle closed and open when the throttle opens slightly. Many people are missing the ground strap for the throttle body so that while the IPS works it doesn't actually ground the signal from the ECU.

On a 90 TB
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

On a 91 TB
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The final test, with the wire connected to the IPS and the ECU powered up you should see the voltage at the connector (and ECU pin) go from 0v when the throttle is closed to 5v - 12v when the throttle is open.

This ground strap connects the TB to the intake manifold which is then connected to chassis ground by a braided wire strap between one of the bolts holding the throttle cable to the intake manifold and the firewall behind it.

On a 2G the IPS is inside the TPS and uses the TPS ground on the connector. On the 2G adjusting when the IPS switches from closed to open is how you set the TPS so you should know if it's working.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back