The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Question for the electrical gods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Boooost

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 9, 2008
Airdrie, AB_Canada
Hey guys,
I had my car out to a test and tune autocross event yesterday and ran into a bit of a problem, on my first run out I got about 90% done the course and my engine completely lost power, I coasted off the runway and out of the way. Once I looked into it I found that the fuse in the fuse box under the hood for the Ignition blew. Unfortunately it was Sunday and in a small town 2.5 hours away from home they didn’t have any automotive stores open. so to fix the problem I used the fuse from the power windows to run the ignition, and my car was up and running again, and my day was done, I didn’t want to blow another fuse being away from home. My concern is that these fuse's I thought, don’t normally blow unless there’s an issue. So I checked to make sure all grounds and power wires coming off the battery were tight, including the power wire to the starter. (Battery relocated to the trunk) everything was tight. the one thing that has me thinking is this winter I relocated the igniter and coil and had to lengthen a few wires for both to do so and I also made new pig tails for the coil due to broken wire insulators and bare wire being visible, during this process I made sure everything was soldered up and sealed and used the same gauge wire. Does the igniter and coil run off the ignition fuse in the fuse box under the hood? Could my relocation of the igniter and coil be my problem? Or is it maybe just bad luck?

Any thoughts?

That is a pretty big circuit. Alot run thru the igntion switch after that 30 amp have secondary fuses, they didn't blow so that rules that part of the circuit out.

But the ECU, ignition coil, power transistor, capacitor, fuel pump relay, & VSS are powered direct no circuit protection besides the main 30 amp.

Something made it pop I'd go digging & check all the harnesses etc...

I fount it. I did some more searching yesterday to see what everyone else had experienced and came accross this thread http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/217496-ignition-switch-30-fuse-blown.html and a couple member found that the capacitor was the problem. so i checked that first and the it was my problem, the wire coating was broken and bare wire was showing and was with in 1/8 of an inch to a intake manifold bolt, so when the motor torqued up it grounded out, My problem is fixed now. however i happen to notice a new problem when i was repairing this issue, my ceramic coating is pealing on my turbine housing :( it only has 500kms on it and the shop did the exhaust mani, turbine housing and O2 housing inside and out. I'll be heading down there this morning to have a nice talk with them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back