The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

question about stock 2g turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briggzy

Probationary Member
Mar 6, 2005
oxford, Massachuseftts
hey guys i know im gonna get called a newb or told to search but im asking for a friend of mine and when i searched nothing came up. ok the issue is that my friend bought a 2g gst and the owner said it was stock, which it looks like it is, but we put in a boost gauge and his car is running 15psi. i thought it could be the gauge but i put in my car and it reads right. as for mods he has turbo inlet pipe, boost gauge, clutch, short shifter, anda 1g bov. the thing im not getting is that whenever i search on here it says that the stock boost is 11psi and not to turn it up past 16, but there is no mbc on his car that we could find. now my question is if theres any little tricks or maybe a ecu "chip" that could be there that we are missing?

Thanks,
Sean

its cause of the 1g bov... the 2g bov leaks at 11-12psi. When my friend put his greddy type s bov on he noticed his boost went up to 15psi without even adding a mbc. does your friend have an exhaust by any chance? that could also increase boost levels...

The factory manual states that the boost pressure should read between 6.4 and 14.7 psi. Depends on how leaky your BOV is, and a number of other factors. I had 15 on my car bone stock, but most people are closer to 11.

Your friend has a 1G BOV. That will tend to get the boost up a little higher.

Factory boost is controlled by a boost control solenoid (BCS). You don't have direct control over it. Breathing mods on the intake or exhaust can affect it though. Most people put an aftermarket boost controller of some sort and bypass the stock BCS.

Usually the 2g's are around 13 psi or so from the factory, like the other said adding a new bov the boost will be higher since it wont leak like the stock 2g one will after 13 psi. Also if the restrictor has been removed from the bcs, that too will add a couple more psi of boost.

to the guy who is asking the question everyone here is correct. the stock BOV is acting as a premature wastegate. the internel spring in the stock BOV is weak and opens up usually around 12psi. i believe this is pre-engineered from the factory so newbies won't blow somthing up or cause problems else where.

danielbui said:
to the guy who is asking the question everyone here is correct. the stock BOV is acting as a premature wastegate. the internel spring in the stock BOV is weak and opens up usually around 12psi. i believe this is pre-engineered from the factory so newbies won't blow somthing up or cause problems else where.

or cause it is just a peice of trash... either way, it still hinders people from their goal.... POWER.

ok he doesnt have the 1g bov installed yet but he does have the injen pipe which sounds like it would help and also he said it looked like the stock bcs was moved(its mounted on the frame rail) so that could be screwed with also
thanks for your help guys
sean

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back