The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Question about Fox Bodies

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habitatguy187

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
So I saw a guy today with a pretty quick v8 fox body. I know they're 225hp stock, but this thing was fast and all he said it had was a intake, headers and exhaust. So I'm wondering just how well these things respond to bolt-ons :hmm:. Anyone have any guess what hp he might be running? (very round-about guess)

Anyway those cars are dirt-cheap around here and I know a guy that I could get one from for about a grand. I'm not getting rid of my dsm, put too much work into already to let it go. But I would like to know a little more about these cars.

EDIT: He also said something about it having a different gear in it or something.

Fox body mixed with the 5.0 are the best power to weight ratio (yes better than our cars)...5.0 enignes respond really well to bolt ons and yes a change of headers, intake,tb and a cam will get you in high 12's. As for the gears your friend was refering to the rear end(differential), i think most of those guys run 373 gear. Fun cars but in "muscle state" thats all you see, so i am sick of them.

Well these cars were the performance per dollar/drag race car of the late 80's early 90's they respond very well to mods and have an even larger aftermarket then our dsm's. The lx coupe is the lightest followed by the of hatch. One of these with boltons and say 3.73 or 4.10 in the rear will feel very quick. These cars were 225hp and 300tq at only 3000rpm and with bolt ons gears and slicks have been known to run low 12's. Some factory freaks stripped down have run low 12's with just slicks bone stock. A full drag setup is very potent. I have owned both and they are fun cars to say the least. I currently have a 94 gt conv with a 347 stroker/nitrous combo. Back in the day when I street raced everyone judged your car vs a 5.0 so good luck for a grand I would pick it up!

They are all over the place here in southern Maryland. They work the same way are cars do. The ones with the body kits, rims, crazy paint jobs ect are the slow 4 or 6 cylinder mustangs, the clean orginal looking ones usually have the 5.0 and give my ol' talon a run for its money.

As far as responding well to bolt-ons, a friend of mine has the standard stuff, what i think are called australian heads, suspension, slicks and a lil nos an he runs a flat 10.000 every damn pass. (except the run he left the hood pins out)

I've had 2 of them. The first when i was 16. It was a 92LX 5.0 5spd. It had a small cam when i bought it. I put 3.73 gear in it and had some bolt ons such as long tube headers and exhaust dumped under rear axle. Intake and some ignition. It ran a 13.8 on shit street tires spinning with a 2.1 '60foot time. On slicks it probably would have ran 13.3-13.5. I went through about 3 trannies and many other issues. I had another bone stock one that was real clean and was probably almost as fast as the other one(stock freak). I kind of wished i had kept the last one.
The stock cylinder heads are horrible and have tiny valves and the intake manifold is no prize either. They have very tough stock short block though that put up with a ton of abuse.
Mods can be purchased very cheap like dsms and are everywhere.
I knew a guy with a turboed one with auto. He ran 11.5 stock motor with a few boltons at 10psi. Than with a built motor with head, intake, cam etc. He ran 10.2 on 18psi. Keep in mind this car is very mild on the street if youre out of the throttle and very dangerous on it.
Keep in mind these cars are absolutely horrible in the snow with a 5spd!
Thanks to riced out Hondas, 5.0s are no longer the cops "most wanted"

I love the 5.0's. My dad had an 86 gt, first year the mustang started being produced with fuel injection. These cars have such a sweet tone to them when running off-road x or h pipes. They respond well to bolt-ons, and the higher the gear ratio (4.10 or higher) the better the acceleration on these cars down-low but they sacrifice top end a little, which is why the majority go 3.73's.
As funny as it may sound my dream car is a 96-98 gt, and hopefully one day i will get me one, of course im not getting rid of my dsm, gotta have a little bit of both worlds. :thumb:

My buddy had a 87 LX Notchback 5.0L with intake, headers, full exhaust, and underdrive pulleys. Ran the best of a 14.5. I would always get him out of the hole and then start pulling on him in the higher gears. I think it was capable of going faster but he just couldn't make it do it.

And then my other buddy had an 88 LX Convertible with the engine punched out to a 306, Higher compression, Aluminum heads, oversized valves, big cam, roller rockers, tubular K member, and a roll cage + tons of other goodies that ran mid 11's.

Then again what do you expect when you take a small, rather light car, and slap a big 'ol American V8 in it?

Very capable cars. And I just love spanking the hell out of them. The look on the driver's face as I just pull away from the start and keep on pulling is *Priceless*

As funny as it may sound my dream car is a 96-98 gt, and hopefully one day i will get me one, of course im not getting rid of my dsm, gotta have a little bit of both worlds. :thumb:

I dont know about the GT's, But i always wanted those year's Cobra. The 4.6dohc is a great motor. And the mystique paint was sweet.
Actually seen in the new HOTROD mag. They made 1000whp on a bolt on 03cobra with a twin turbo kit and the stock supercharger

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back