The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Question about 2 intercooler bar and plate core flow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Cuervo

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2004
Omaha, Nebraska
I posted here because this is the turbo and related components forum. Feel free to move it to the right forum if need t.

Hi everyone. My question(s) is in regard to the punishment racing intercooler cfm and the ETS street/strip intercooler cfm.

Punishment racing bar and plate only. is: 26x8x3.5 Intercooler is: 34x8x3.5
CFM claims by punishment according to website are: 650cfm.

ETS street/strip bar and plate only: 26.5x7x3.5 Intercooler is 33x7x3.5. Unless i'm reading it wrong.
CFM claims by ETS according ot website are: 715cfm.

Now my question is: Why does the punishment flows less than the ETS when it is of bigger size?

Thank you very much.

You read it wrong. ETS is 27x7x3.5
ETS (90-94) 1G DSM 7" Street/Strip Intercooler Kit
It could also just be the overall design of it. Although very similar, the inlet/outlet on the Punishment intercooler is more towards the middle whereas the ETS is at the top. How this affects performance, I do not know.

The "size" means squat. What matters is the flow area. Sounds like the "bigger" IC here has smaller tubes. Now, the other thing to consider is that more intake area you have, the more volume that has to be pressurized by the compressor. The less volume, the better the response.

Yes you are right defiant. I didn't take that into account. i was basing it solitery on the numbers themselves. Thanks.

Crimsondragon. You are right. On the intercooler kit section it does say 27x7x3.5 but on the intercooler only section it says: 26.5x7x3.5.
Anyhow, thanks for clearing out these few questions.

Thank you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back