The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Put in EPROM, now car dies at idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon96tsi

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2003
Westminster, Maryland
Hey guys,

to be honest im very new to the idea of an eprom, but i came across one from a 92 gsx m/t that my buddy had and bought it. currently, th ecu is in my 91 TSi awd m/t. Ive heard that you need to give the ecu tme to reset everything but ive put over 150 miles on it since i got the ecu, and all it does is idle high, then stall. i cant even sit at a red light the car dies. do i have to get this thing socketed with a new chip? or should i fix the caps n my other ecu and wait till i have money for dsmlink to get the ecu working right. Any input would be great, thanks.

Has the EPROM in the new ECU been "modified"? If it is not "socketed" already then the chip is stock. FYI.. some common modifications are increasing the idle speed (helps with lopey cams) and fuel/MAS compensation, any of which may be causing your problems if it is "modified".

Does/did you see any of the same problems with your stock ECU?

As for resetting, you should always disconnect the (-) battery connector prior to removing the ECU :dsm:

its a stock eprom, and no i didnt have any of these problems with my old ecu which wasnt an eprom. i didnt disconnect the neg battery connection when i swapped the ecu's. should i reset it now?

talon96tsi said:
should i reset it now?
\
The ECU resets itself after ~15secs of power interruption, so doing so now would be pointless. I was more referring to the safety factor of re/re the ECU with power still connected.

It's possible your new ECU is still "learning", whereby it will eventually correct the idle surge. Or it could be a intake/boost leak, bad or dirty ISC, or the ECU itself is problematic, in which case you will need repairs :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back