The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Pushing 19psi on T25 HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rollout

Probationary Member
Dec 10, 2003
Mahomet, Illinois
Ok I have no clue if this is normal or not, but I am pushing 19psi in my 2g GSX right now. I have a K&N intake, Apexi N1 Catback, Free mods (restrictor solenoid, vented intercooler), and I just installed a Greddy Type-S BOV and Greddy upper and lower I/C piping.

Problem #1:
The lower I/C piping that connects to the turbo keeps poping off at highboost (in 4th gear). Is there anything I can do to fix this? (I am sure the clamps are as tight as they get) And would pushing 19psi have anything to do with this?

Problem #2:
Is there any problem with running 19psi on a T25. Will it hurt my engine, turbo, etc... And if so, what can I do to fix it. Will a Boost controller be able to drop the boost much?

not sure exaclty if thats too much boost on a t25, but do you have upgraded injectors. I would think that could create some problems with running lean?? I believe the 4g63 isnt supossed to go over 16-17lbs. I know when i put my boost controller on, i hit 20psi for a quick sec, but not at a constant rate

get a boost controller and lower it. 19 on the T25 wont last long. 17 or 18 is normally the recommended max. I would definitly turn it down until you get a different turbo.

The T25 can only hold that boost for a very little time. I pushed 20+ PSI on mine when the spring in my MBC was backwards but I have more fuel coming in. I dynoed my car at 19PSI and I blew a small hole in the coolant line to the turbo so it can hurt it. Your engine will probally get hurt worse since the extra boost is probally making you run lean. Buy a cheap MBC for $12 on ebay. They will work fine for the T25. :thumb: You probally have not hurt anything to bad yet since it is such a small turbo. :)

hey this is my first post here, I've been reading here since Oct. when I got my car but just finally registered.

hey Rollout where is Mahomet @ ?

I maybe new to the DSM world but I have 23yrs as a mechanic, and I can tell you a constant 19psi and you won't have to wait long before getting a new turbo that can handle that pressure. OMG Most likely the bearings & seals will be the first to go.

If you don't have a boost controller how are you getting 19psi?

The ic pipe should be able to handle the boost, if it is popping off there is something wrong there at the connection.

As I have read, you cannot turn your boost down with a manual boost controller... and i dont think you can turn it down "much" with even an electronic one... The only thing I can think to do to fix the problem at the moment is to put the restrictor solenoid back in place, now if only i hadnt thrown it out :cry:

Any other ideas?

I do plan on soon buying the Apexi AVCR boost controller and upgrading to the 16g turbo, but in doing so I dont believe my problem is going to be fixed...

At the moment i have no fuel upgrades, i plan on soon installing a bigger fuel pump and rewiring the stock wiring, maybe this will just fix any problems i may have with the engine.. (running lean)

Originally posted by arffy
hey this is my first post here, I've been reading here since Oct. when I got my car but just finally registered.

hey Rollout where is Mahomet @ ?

I maybe new to the DSM world but I have 23yrs as a mechanic, and I can tell you a constant 19psi and you won't have to wait long before getting a new turbo that can handle that pressure. OMG Most likely the bearings & seals will be the first to go.

If you don't have a boost controller how are you getting 19psi?

The ic pipe should be able to handle the boost, if it is popping off there is something wrong there at the connection.

Ok first things first,
Mahomet is 10 miles north west of Champaign (between CU and Bloomington)

Secondly, i have no clue how im running 19psi, it only happens in 4th gear for a split second (spike) but i usually dont make it much past that until the lower i/c pipe pops off.. I have the greddy i/c piping kit, and it doesnt have a lip on the piping to help secure the pipe in the flange, but it does have screw tight "pipe clamps" that are supposed to hold the flange on where the flange fastens the pipe to the turbo... yet again, any ideas would be quite helpful...

you can turn the boost down. when i installed my 18g, i turned it down to 8. without a controller i know it would have ran more. so you can do it. just save yourself the cost of rebuilding whatever you blow up by paying $12 for the MBC.

Originally posted by garysever
you can turn the boost down. when i installed my 18g, i turned it down to 8. without a controller i know it would have ran more. so you can do it. just save yourself the cost of rebuilding whatever you blow up by paying $12 for the MBC.

So when they say you cannot turn it down... does that mean that you cannot turn it down lower then my stock boost would be? or are you just stating that everyone is wrong about being able to turn boost DOWN...? I am becoming quite confused...

you canot turn it down below the wastegate spring setting you can turn it up past that with a mbr. that is what the mbr does, is bleed the signal pressure off tricking the actuator spring into not seeing the actual boost that is there. If I understand your fisrt post you actually removed the whole factory wastegate solenoid and not just the restrictor in the solenoid? If that's the case then that is where your getting you 19psi, you need some way to control the boost and the mbr is the cheapest and quickest way or an adjustable w/g actuator.

as for your ic pipe that still is not the reason it is popping off it should be able hold the pressure. If you can take a pic of it and email it I may be able give some suggestions?

yeah, you can turn down the boost with a mbc. if you think spiking at 19 is bad, iamclp1 was runnin a solid 18-19 lbs stock till I was able to turn it down. we were getting spikes in the range of 22lbs.

but yeah, it can't be good to run that much. I'd like to see a compressor map of the t25 to see where 18psi falls in it's efficiency range....or out of it for that matter...

Originally posted by koolade9
yeah, you can turn down the boost with a mbc. if you think spiking at 19 is bad, iamclp1 was runnin a solid 18-19 lbs stock till I was able to turn it down. we were getting spikes in the range of 22lbs.

but yeah, it can't be good to run that much. I'd like to see a compressor map of the t25 to see where 18psi falls in it's efficiency range....or out of it for that matter...

So you were able to turn the boost down with a boost controller?

And how is running 19 psi good to run?

you canot turn it down below the wastegate spring setting you can turn it up past that with a mbr. that is what the mbr does, is bleed the signal pressure off tricking the actuator spring into not seeing the actual boost that is there. If I understand your fisrt post you actually removed the whole factory wastegate solenoid and not just the restrictor in the solenoid? If that's the case then that is where your getting you 19psi, you need some way to control the boost and the mbr is the cheapest and quickest way or an adjustable w/g actuator.

as for your ic pipe that still is not the reason it is popping off it should be able hold the pressure. If you can take a pic of it and email it I may be able give some suggestions?

I have only removed the restrictor in the solenoid.

Here is a picture of i/c piping, it is in the bottom right corner, the part connecting to the turbo, the connection is much the same as the rest of the connections made on the i/c piping,

Attachments

• dsc05548.jpg
    dsc05548.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 418

that does make sense.... I was running around 18-19 before I put in the mbc, and If it was at it's lowest point, I could control it around 11-13lbs or so, which is stock i guess. so yeah.

I would still say go with an MBC, even make one if you have to. and just replacing the mess of vacuum lines and simplifing should help you turn it down to stock.

it looks like you've got the same IC piping that I do. and yup, i was blowin off my upper ic pipe all the time. I just used the original hose clamps from the oem ic piping, and replaced the ones that came in the kit. then tightened the snot out of it. Haven't blown em off since. check your bov settings too, if the type s is too tight, it'll send that spike that'll blow your pipes off too.

what would you set the bov at? i just left it as tight as it goes...

i'm trying to figure this out......

first off, lower boost with mbc? absolutely.

your wastegate is what regulates boost. not your mbc or bcs. what the mbc or bcs does is modify the signal (air) the wastegate gets. your wastegate is set to open at about 7-9 psi tops. so with no mbc or bcs and air going straight from the compressor to the wastegate you would get about 7-9 psi of boost. in comes the bcs. the bcs is set to bleed off some of the air going to the wastegate. that way it takes more pressure to get that 7-9 psi to open the wastegate giving you that stock 10-11 psi. now, the computer controls when the bcs is open and closed. closed pressure builds, open it bleeds off and stablizes pressure. removing the bcs restrictor just gives the bcs more volume and should only give you maybe 1-2psi more. 19psi...no way. now with a mbc (ball and spring) again you are just modifing the signal to the wastegate. open the mbc all the way.....7-9psi. then you use trial and error and close it slowly until you are getting the psi you want. ie 15. now if you just close it all the way, BOOM! not really but big overboost problems.

this is probably why your intercooler pipe is blowing off. i had the same prob when i first installed my mbc id hit about 20psi (not good) and my upper pipe would blow off.

so, my 2cents. check the vaccum hoses between your bcs, turbo housing, and wastegate. sounds like one is leaking and not opening your wastegate. the hose from the turbo housing and wastegate should be "t"d into one going to the bottom of the bcs. the hose on the bcs should to to the intake. check that first. maybe when you put em back on you put em on backwards.

now my question...what is a vented intercooler?

Originally posted by daddyrich1227
now my question...what is a vented intercooler?

I guess the term "vented intercooler" is not the greatest way to put it but I cut a "vent" in the back of my passenger side fender (inside the wheel well) and placed mesh grill in the hole as to "vent" the intercooler better.

heres a poorly taken picture

Attachments

• dsc05544.jpg
    dsc05544.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 363
15 PSI MAX ON THE T-25!!
If you run anymore than that your engine and turbo won't last long. Running over 15 psi is going past the turbos effeciency range and will heat up the air way too much causing your timing to be pulled, running lean, ect therefore reducing power and engine life. I run mine at 10-12 psi and it has just as much power as it does at 16+psi and is much better on the engine and turbo. If i can remember correctly, the efficency range on the T-25 is around 7-14 psi.

After I installed IC piping, I had to tighten my MBC more. It caused my boost levels to shoot to ridiculous levels. I think I was hitting fuel cut, thankfully. I couldn't figure it out, but once I tightened the MBC I was seeing 13PSI, and I adjusted from there.

dumb question but, what is the BCS?
not clicking in my head right now for some reason

If I was you, I would spend the $300 for the Greddy Profec B II. I would have the say it is the best money I have spent for the car so far. It lets you control so many things about your turbo. Plus it has helped my gas mileage out in the city.

Well worth it
:thumb:

bcs (boost control solenoid)

as daddyrich1227 said, this is what controls the wastegate thus controlling boost. That is why I asked if you removed the whole solenoid and not the restrictor only. I thought maybe you just ran the line from the tee direct to the intake, which would cause high pressure due to being constantly vented.

I have heard peole say they have had boost do strange things from having the restrictor removed and then upgrading to a larger exhaust and that replacing the restrictor corrected it. I personally didn't, I removed mine and gained approx. 2psi, then went with a ported O2 hse. Megan 3" downpipe w/o cat & 2 1/2" catback with no problems. I adjusted the wastegate to get my 15psi I'm running at now with no problems.

I would recomend backing out your bov at the least til you get your boost under contol, which should help with ic pipe popping off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back