The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Purchase advise, 1992 Talon AWD automatic

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beegeezy

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 26, 2010
Round Rock, Texas
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing a 1992 Talon that is about two hours away from my home. I've gone to look at the car, here are the details:

1992 Talon TSi AWD automatic
97k miles
new timing belt, wp, etc. (OE parts)
new axles, brakes, tires
full respray of factory color
leather interior (good shape)
100% original, no mods

The car is owned by a mechanic, and he's had it for 10 years. It's been sitting inside his shop for the last two years with a bad TCM. Unfortunately, he didn't fill up the fuel tank or start the car for the last two years. The fuel pump is dead and there is surface rust in the tank. He did get it to run by squirting gas into the intake tube (entering the throttle body) while I cranked the car. It ran surprisingly well considering and had good oil pressure on the factory gauge.

I know the car needs to have the fuel tank cleaned. I got a quote from a local radiator shop to clean and line the tank for $150. I'll need a new fuel pump/sock, and filter too. I would like to upgrade the pump but don't want to mess with the FPR right now. I also see that forcedfour sells a shift box that I can use to replace the bad TCM.

So...he was asking $2500 and I have offered $1600. He initially said he could do $1800, but I think it's worth less since it needs a fair amount of work.

Any thoughts? Anything to look out for in this situation?

Attachments

• 00m0m_iq30Jo0DY85_600x450.jpg
    00m0m_iq30Jo0DY85_600x450.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2038.JPG
    IMG_2038.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2040.JPG
    IMG_2040.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2041.JPG
    IMG_2041.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2042.JPG
    IMG_2042.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2043.JPG
    IMG_2043.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2044.JPG
    IMG_2044.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2045.JPG
    IMG_2045.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2046.JPG
    IMG_2046.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2047.JPG
    IMG_2047.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2048.JPG
    IMG_2048.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Forgot it needs a tcm. Not bad if that’s all you need. I’d have those injectors cleaned or upgrade them. How bad is the rust in gas tank?

I'll post some pics. *edit* pics added to first post

Injector cleaning is about $100 for four, right? Never had it done but I've seen it advertised. I didn't get a picture of the rust but it looks like mostly surface scale. The pump came out very easily though...so that was nice.

Last edited:
Still a great price @ $1800 with bad tcm. A used one is $150-200. Bone stock dsm’s are so hard to come by and are the best foundations to start with if you want to have a car to start modifying.

Still a great price @ $1800 with bad tcm. A used one is $150-200. Bone stock dsm’s are so hard to come by and are the best foundations to start with if you want to have a car to start modifying.

I have to get it towed about 134 miles, so that adds a bit to the price as well. I think it's a good deal regardless of the issues. I would like to mod the car but may just keep it stock. I have a '92 3000gt VR4 as well, which is my money pit.

I agree, 1800 isn't bad, especially when the aesthetics seem good from description.

For what you need to do to it, it's not a bad investment, depending on what you want to do with the car.

Honestly I'd recommend doing a pump and regulator when you have the tank down, it's far easier to do then and easy to set up. Altogether the cost shouldn't be a crazy increase either. For reference an aeromotive 340 stealth pump is around 120 shipped and afpr (aeromotive/fuel lab) is 2-250 shipped new, and I'm sure there's some afpr's in the classifieds for cheaper. Having the injectors servided is usually 15-25 per injector depending on who you go through for service, and there are a few vendors on the site that can help with that. Once again, classifieds is another option, but if you don't have ecmlink (or some other way to tune) dont go with larger injectors just yet.

I say go for it if all else seems good for 1800 :thumb:

Get aaa, you should have it with these cars anyway, LOL. With the premium membership, you should get 150 mile tow. Done. Lol. Mod it tastefully, dont have to go all out racecar, make it your own. But make it right. Thats all.

If you can't find a TCU, you might want to PM me.....my 92 is a 6/4 auto car also and I paid $2300 and never argued the price once. Paid the man and drove her home. :)

I will be using AAA for towing. It's $114 for a premier membership that includes one tow up to 200 miles per year. I'm flying to Austin in two weeks and driving my 3000gt back home (500 miles), so AAA might really come in handy anyways.

Thanks for the info, guys. I won't beat the guy up on the price...I'm haggling to make my wife happy. ;)

I will be using AAA for towing. It's $114 for a premier membership that includes one tow up to 200 miles per year. I'm flying to Austin in two weeks and driving my 3000gt back home (500 miles), so AAA might really come in handy anyways.

Thanks for the info, guys. I won't beat the guy up on the price...I'm haggling to make my wife happy. ;)

Interesting, I've been a top tier AAA member for about 12 years, hardly use it, but I get 3 tows up to 150 miles each per year. Maybe it's different per state?

Either way, it's nice to have in a pinch! If you end up getting the car I think you'll be happy for that price, were it around here I'd buy it for the same price, haha.

Last edited:
I would definitely pay 1800 for a AWD 1g auto.

The walboro 190 is a pretty much drop in fuel pump with no mods to be done. Fuel pumps are super easy to do.

The shift box became my best friend even tho my tcu works just fine. Plus if you granny shift you can get around 21 mph instead of the 17 ish it says in the manual.

Cant wait to see pics of the car and a proper introduction to the rest of the tuners family.
:thumb:

Update: I was going to pick the car up today, but I didn't realize that I have to wait 7 days for my AAA membership to activate for 100+ mile towing benefits. So...next week, I guess. I'm getting anxious!

For the fuel pump, I'm thinking the Denso 9500154 (same as my 3000gt). https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2142254&cc=1205031&jsn=356

I might try this with the stock FPR and if that doesn't work I'll pick up one of these kits: https://www.maperformance.com/products/map-afpr-install-kit-with-aem-regulator-dsm

I ran this pump without a AFPR on my 92 auto car and it never seemed to overrun the stock regulator. I did eventually put an adjustable one on later but the car ran fine, just tried it to see how she would work.
https://stmtuned.com/collections/1g...-high-pressure-gss341-fuel-pump-gas-1gdsm-awd

I've read mixed reviews on whether or not the Walbro 255 will overrun the stock FPR. I'm familiar with the Whinebros from the 3000gt applications. I like their newer, quiet, 450 E85 pumps...but that's really overkill for now. The Denso 3000gt pump is only $71 on Amazon, so it's cheap and should also be a drop in option. And QUIET!

Let me know how the 3000gt pump works out for you. I am in a similar situation preparing for my E316G install. I bought a 3000gt VR4 Denso pump in order to try to stay away from the "whine", but was told to get a supra pump instead. I am curious if the 3000gt pump would actually work since I think the supra pump would be way overkill.

I am getting old so my old ears don't hear that whine anymore....or I have become used to it ROFL

Update:

I had the car towed to my house last Wednesday and I've already started tearing things apart to do my mini restoration. I'll make a new thread to introduce myself soon.

Any ideas why my timing belt cover would look like this? I realize the belts and pulleys were cutting into it, I'm just not sure why.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I drove 3.5 hours to get my car and just got a uhaul trailer ware the car was and dropped it back off at a local uhaul when i got home.I think i payed $85.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back