The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Punishment racing fmic for 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Question: Does anyone anywhere have any real hard data (preferably third person tested) on these cheaper FMIC kits? What I mean is pre and post IC temp data? OR hell any at all. And not to start anything but someone besides Bucher. I looked at his old thread on it, thing is I have to question when brand X is showing there brand beating everything else and their the ones doing the testing. Call me a skeptic but i'd like to see it verified by a third party.

Reason I'm asking is i'll be replacing my Vibrant FMIC for one that has the rear facing inlet and outlet, mostly so I can put my fog lights back on, but also so I can then use the short route piping and make use of the hole in the fender well where the stock piping went. (and more room for the air filter) and yes i'm a 1g guy so im only intersted in those kits, but I figure PR is using the same core for the 2g kit as the 1g.

*EDIT* Any hard data on any kit will be valuable, it doesn't just have to be the PR kit. e-###, VRSF, PR, BR, SBR, ETS, etc.

Ended up peeling all that crap off the core. I think it looks a little bit better now.

before
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

after

Junk. Happy to have gotten rid of this fmic kit. T bolt clamps rotted out and bust on me. Couplers blew out. Can't wait to get a garrett core again!

Jumped on the CxRacing fmic kit again, arrived today. Basically the same as the pr kit, minus the bar.

On page 16 was has an hks welded to the intercooler pipe. Is anybody running an hks bov mounted to a 1gen flange mounted to the pipe?

I was also thinking about doing this, but I dont think it will clear the hood. The type-s comes close. The ssqv is pretty big and you add an adapter flange and I doubt it will fit. Unless you cut the greddy flange off and weld in an hks one.

I was also thinking about doing this, but I dont think it will clear the hood. The type-s comes close. The ssqv is pretty big and you add an adapter flange and I doubt it will fit. Unless you cut the greddy flange off and weld in an hks one.

Yeah. I wonder if I could lower the flange pipe on the punishment kit to try to fit the hks. The coupler that goes from tb to bov pipe is pretty long.

I just brought mines today I used my tax return I paid $374.77 free shipping. I guess it was $397.77 and total would of been 404.77 that's pretty good I saved $30 I'm glad i waited can't wait until its here

I just brought mines today I used my tax return I paid $374.77 free shipping. I guess it was $397.77 and total would of been 404.77 that's pretty good I saved $30 I'm glad i waited can't wait until its here

Ypu could have saved a lot more money if you had bought the kit from cxracing on ebay. Same exact thing minus the bar.

Ypu could have saved a lot more money if you had bought the kit from cxracing on ebay. Same exact thing minus the bar.

Yeah I just found out they are practically the same kit without the bar.I have a question ? Do you really need the bar to install the kit or can you leave it out ? I haven't installed yet I need to get a dremel to trim the bumper and something to cut the bumper crash beam

I see some people don't read my posts. Well once more here are pics of the fmic i installed on my friend's automatic gst spyder.
IT IS possible with a little creativity and patience.

Do you have anymore pictures of the install can't no longer see them in this thread. Can you pm me I know this is a old thread but I have a auto too and i want to see what you did to fit the UICP.I want to do my research before hacking or struggle with the install I hope I can fit everything in

I used the bumper support crash beam and modified it so the intercooler hangs by it. Came out clean.
For autos, you will have to angle the long pipe a little more towards the driver side to make it fit with the big bulgy auto tranny, but it will work, i did the same thing to a friends auto gst.

I used the bumper support crash beam and modified it so the intercooler hangs by it. Came out clean.
For autos, you will have to angle the long pipe a little more towards the driver side to make it fit with the big bulgy auto tranny, but it will work, i did the same thing to a friends auto gst.

ok that doesn't sound hard then .so did you cut the crash beam or you just mounted underneath I remember you saying something about the cxracing didn't come with the intercooler bar and you brought one .I was trying to find out do have to use the bar but I know it holds up the fmic from what people posted

Here is what i did :

i finally installed mines it was a nightmare in the beginning but it's only because im auto. i found a solution the upper intercooler pipe coupler was missing from my kit my friend notice and told me so i use my stock hose and cut it & it fit perfectly without much of a hassle and i can get to the tranny dipstick a lot better too even tho i broke a piece off in the beginning struggling with the pipe.ill post pictures soon so all the auto guys can see it

I thought this would be a good place to post this up.

I've had the Punishment kit on my Talon for almost a year now. It was originally installed with my Small 16g, but is now being fed by a Holset H1E (60mm 8-blade). It's important to note that the only "cooling" mods I've done is open up the front bumper and eliminate the AC. Otherwise it's all stock. No sprayers, vents, or CAI of any kind. The filter is in the stock location behind the headlight. The SMIC hole is actually plugged by the overflow bottle, so not much air reaches the engine bay from there. My GM IAT sensor is mounted in the TB elbow. Here's some pics to show my setup.

Now, a few days ago I took my Talon to the alignment shop. It was her first time going more than a few blocks from the house, so naturally I brought my laptop along for the ride. I also admit that I never gave a ton of attention to my intake temps since I'm running E85. But with my new turbo and SD setup I've been paying a lot more attention to them.

As I passed by a few banks I noticed all of their signs displayed ambient temperature as 38°. DSMLink showed my IAT at idle to be about 60°. Not surprising considering my engine is drawing in air from the hot engine bay. So when I got the chance, I hit the gas and watched my IAT's. At the start of 2nd gear they were around 48° and dropped to 41° by the end of 3rd. Granted I'm only running a little over 20psi on a considerably large turbo, but 3° above reported ambient temps is still nothing to scoff at.

Here's where things get slippery (no pun intended). On my way back from the alignment shop it started to snow and I noticed the banks reported 30° temps, yet my IAT's were virtually the same; around 60° at idle and dropping to about 40° by the end of 3rd. I chalked it up to heat soak and carried on. When I got home, I was surprised to see this mess:

A good amount of ice had collected on the core. You'd think the ice would help cool the intake temps, but in fact it was only reducing the efficiency of the core by blocking airflow. Only 1/4-1/3 of the core was effectively cooling the intake charge. However, after the first few inches of the core, the incoming air in that section was still cooled enough to allow ice to form. Not bad for a "cheap Ebay core that heatsoaks easily". ROFL

This summer I plan to install another IAT sensor before the intercooler to get some exact numbers. But for now, I think this is pretty convincing evidence against those who talk down about this core.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is what it look's like oh and i had all my couplers i guess my friend made a mistake :coy: i counted all of them and look's like all was there . thinking about buying a longer 45 degree black coupler to make it look nice

Attachments

• IMAG0782.jpg
    IMAG0782.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMAG0827.jpg
    IMAG0827.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 251
Ok so basically once I buy this kit imma get couplers and clamps from STM. Problem solved.

^ I don't why you would do all that. The couplers are good quality and I have never had a problem with mine. Only a couple of my clamps broke and I replaced then with Vibrant clamps. Works great.

^ I don't why you would do all that. The couplers are good quality and I have never had a problem with mine. Only a couple of my clamps broke and I replaced then with Vibrant clamps. Works great.

yeah the couplers are pretty strong and clamps. no problems here either. I just needed one longer 45 degree coupler only because you have to modify the upper intercooler pipes for a auto but some people got lucky and it work for them but didn't work for me

Does anyone have a photo with a Fmic installed on a t25? Please I need photos of how to connect the pipe with the turbo

¿Alguien tiene una foto con un kit instalado en un t25? Por favor, necesito fotos de cómo conectar la tubería con el turbo.
I don't have any photos anymore, but I remember that I used an ETS V-pipe. I don't know that they are still made, but I hope it helps.
Thanks bro

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back