The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Pulsar gtx3584

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E85evo

Probationary Member
Aug 4, 2019
Gold Coast, Australia
Not sure if any of you guys know pulsar gtx series turbos, but i cant rave about them enough they are an ebay turbo, still 1000 dollars aud not sure what they are in american obviously alot cheaper a few of my mates here in aus have switched to them from the hx40, they dont sound as good as the holset though. but been holding 35-40psi no dramas full 35psi by 5150ishhh with 272 cams. qualty casting, torqued bolts, tappered blades

I thought about giving one a try but if you decide to move onto something else you'll have a $700 paperweight. Nobody will pay good money for an eBay turbo regardless of how good it may perform.

Give it enough time and we'll likely have China-based ball bearing turbos that can hold their own against brand names at high boost, high EGTs, and 3:1 drive pressures. Is that time now? Perhaps- I have a local friend putting a Pulsar 30R-based unit through it's paces in FP30 housing currently, but nobody can truly be sure yet until there are a bunch in circulation from a specific vendor. I've been in the turbo business long enough to have seen knockoffs of knockoffs, so vendor loyalty can be very important in sourcing something durable and dependable from China.

I don't mess with servicing ball bearing stuff for the general public outside of sealing ring replacement to a unit with absolutely zero bearing wear, wheel damage, or shaft movement because of the liability, fragile oiling, and extreme sensitivity to balance because the shaft is always fully-supported by the bearing sleeve and there's no pillow of oil to absorb small amounts of vibration. My balancing machine is not set up for cartridge balancing- you'd need a full VSR balancing machine with it's own drive and lubrication system to check the balance of the assembled unit at full operating speed. I have serviced a few ball bearing units for friends and locals successfully, mainly when they have no other option because their specific model is outdated or the cost of replacement CHRA is off the charts...like one user sent a valve through their low-mileage GTX3576R on their Mazdaspeed and ruined the turbine a few years ago. So a new aftermarket turbine shaft, a new aftermarket bearing sleeve, and a VSR rebalance and the guy was back in business for $600ish versus $1899 for a new CHRA from Garrett and it's still going to this day with many more miles on it with aftermarket parts than it had when it ate the valve.

Now will I trust that enough to service anyone's turbo? Not currently. I don't want the liability of someone sending their 35R-based FP turbo in with minor shaft movement and oil leakage then I service it and the Chinese bearing sleeve comes apart completely in 1500 miles and they want me to buy them a new turbo that doesn't exist anymore. Getting the job isn't worth the potential failure risk to me.

Give it enough time and we'll likely have China-based ball bearing turbos that can hold their own against brand names at high boost, high EGTs, and 3:1 drive pressures. Is that time now? Perhaps- I have a local friend putting a Pulsar 30R-based unit through it's paces in FP30 housing currently, but nobody can truly be sure yet until there are a bunch in circulation from a specific vendor. I've been in the turbo business long enough to have seen knockoffs of knockoffs, so vendor loyalty can be very important in sourcing something durable and dependable from China.

I don't mess with servicing ball bearing stuff for the general public outside of sealing ring replacement to a unit with absolutely zero bearing wear, wheel damage, or shaft movement because of the liability, fragile oiling, and extreme sensitivity to balance because the shaft is always fully-supported by the bearing sleeve and there's no pillow of oil to absorb small amounts of vibration. My balancing machine is not set up for cartridge balancing- you'd need a full VSR balancing machine with it's own drive and lubrication system to check the balance of the assembled unit at full operating speed. I have serviced a few ball bearing units for friends and locals successfully, mainly when they have no other option because their specific model is outdated or the cost of replacement CHRA is off the charts...like one user sent a valve through their low-mileage GTX3576R on their Mazdaspeed and ruined the turbine a few years ago. So a new aftermarket turbine shaft, a new aftermarket bearing sleeve, and a VSR rebalance and the guy was back in business for $600ish versus $1899 for a new CHRA from Garrett and it's still going to this day with many more miles on it with aftermarket parts than it had when it ate the valve.

Now will I trust that enough to service anyone's turbo? Not currently. I don't want the liability of someone sending their 35R-based FP turbo in with minor shaft movement and oil leakage then I service it and the Chinese bearing sleeve comes apart completely in 1500 miles and they want me to buy them a new turbo that doesn't exist anymore. Getting the job isn't worth the potential failure risk to me.
Your indepth knowledge obviously exceeds mine haha, all i see is 35-40psi for about 6months of abuse isnt that bad for a china turbo, i hope your friend has success for a long time, i did do some reasearch into how they cast and machine there turbos, i found this guy from australia on facebook austin yao who works for pulsar and had videos of the machining processes and benchtesting, i honestly think these new china turbos will change everything.

38/40psi logging 57/60 lbs a min on Pulsars gtx3076r in the FP gt30 hotside has proved to be potent. Their hotside paired with the new technology wheels is great. So far I have 800 miles on it, probably 75 WoT pulls from tuning and what not. Have been checking shaft play nearly everytime I hone on it. This little 55mm turbine wheel is flowing out to 8300RPM still holding 40psi of boost I can only imagine the backpressure it’s fighting against. Only downfall is the high IaTs but that could be resolved with a better core than a VSRacing street core.

I attribute some of the longevity to the turbo of course to the wonderful Brad Penn =)

One thing I can say with certainty is the Chinese turbine shafts have improved in quality tenfold over the last decade. It used to be common to see a China turbo with a broken shaft that wiped out the whole turbo, now I hardly ever seen it anymore...although some do lack in other areas as opposed to just the turbine head itself. But 40psi through a 55mm turbine in a .68 a/r housing is definitely giving it a workout...if it's still together at 10,000 or 20,000 miles I'd say it passes the test for sure. Good oil is important as well as treating the turbo right in regard to cooling but as you've pointed out that's a solid option for someone with a blown 3052 to pick up a little high-pressure efficiency along the way.

I just ordered the pulsar 3584 and I'm mating it to a morrison vband large runner. Replacing my hx35/bep/fprace. I figured I'd give it a go for $750 and if it blows, I'll slap a xona on. I'll let you know what it flows, hp numbers, and how long it lasts.

Are you going to keep your old setup for back up or sell it ?
I just ordered the pulsar 3584 and I'm mating it to a morrison vband large runner. Replacing my hx35/bep/fprace. I figured I'd give it a go for $750 and if it blows, I'll slap a xona on. I'll let you know what it flows, hp numbers, and how long it lasts.

What's the word on this? How's the 3584rs doing?
Still running great. I've never really been able to crank it up past 32psi due to a fuel restriction. I'm either outflowing my 535 pump, stock feed lines, or 1800low z injectors. It's flowing about 56lbs/min at 7200rpm at 32psi. It's quick, but I'm only scratching the surface of its efficiency range. There's another Dsmer running mid 9's with the same turbo. His flows 70/lbs at 7800 40psi.

I just bought the pulsar gtx3582r Gen 2 ceramic DBB turbo off Amazon.(turbine AR .63/compressor AR .72) $707. After tax. I'll be updating with review once I install it. Since the info on these is pretty limited. I figure if they're half ass good as the real thing is still a bargain. First impression: it appears to be better quality than your typical Chinese turbo. I did find some metal shavings in the oil feed line restrictor from machining. Which is obviously a big no no for a BB turbo. So if you get one make sure you look things over real good before running. Also just kind of odd IMO, but the housing bolts are 1/2" SAE 🤷🏼

Any more feedback on these turbos? I am floating the idea of having a backup turbo for my car. I am one who runs turbos really hard and have been very successful with Precision units in the past 20 years. I would hate to stray and get bit...but love experimenting new stuff.

Any more feedback on these turbos? I am floating the idea of having a backup turbo for my car. I am one who runs turbos really hard and have been very successful with Precision units in the past 20 years. I would hate to stray and get bit...but love experimenting new stuff.
I'll hopefully be able to give some insight on mine here soon. This is a log from Virtual Dyno while doing some Wastegate tuning (20psi, creeping to about 25 at redline) on 91 and boost controller turned off.

Once it spools it really hits hard man. I haven't been able to do any full 3-4th or 2-3rd pulls yet but here soon I should be able to. Boost is in MAP in virtual Dyno. Definitely not running 36psi.... yet.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I have a few thousand miles on my pulsar gtx3584rs and it’s working great. I know another guy running the same turbo seeing close to 70 lbs/min at 38psi. Spool is kinda slow, but I have a top mount manifold and conservative timing.

What sizes are these in terms of compressor inducer size? Trying to understand the naming convention.

I believe they called it as so as it’s near or the same specs as a true Garrett gtx3584rs, however they’ve since changed the name to psr3584 (also call their gtx3582r a psr3582, etc) so I do believe Garrett got on to them for their naming of their clones however still the same unit and I’ve seen nothing bad of them yet.

Pulsar has the exact same nomenclature as the turbos they're copying, if I recall. Pulsar g30, 3584 etc. The local big name Evo guys has run them and loves them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back