The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Pulling motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s4b0t4g3r

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 2, 2005
Calgary, Alberta_Canada
I've got a 1GA awd turbo dsm. I was wondering whether it would be easier to pull both the motor and the tranny out together, and replacing it the same? Or motor then tranny or vice versa?

Also, how do I disconnect the shifter from the tranny?

I have always droped the tranny first then pulled the motor. Disconnect the shifter cables from the tranny to answer the shifter question. The metal clips you just tap on them with a hammer upward or use a screwdriver.

to drop the tranny all the driveshafts need to be disconnected. What the best way of accomplishing this?

I've got a JDM motor + tranny coming in so Im dropping my POS motor/tranny

JayRolla said:
Drop the transfer case and remove the tranny on the motor. Done it a few times much easier with the tranny connected in my opinion.

2ND that.:thumb:

s4b0t4g3r said:
:rolleyes:

I would have to agree as well done 4 swaps. also you can save a lot of clean up time by keeping the driveshaft attached to the transfer case when you drop it from the transmission. you can do this by only loosening the first set of carrier bearing bolts.
dont forget about the cam angle sensor on the back of the engine. it is located underneath the intake manifold and attached to the block.

thrdtryGSX said:
why did i say cam angle it is the knock sensor dum ass

LOL, I was like huh when I first read your post. Good time to probably replace the knock sensor too.

s4b0t4g3r said:

Whats wrong with your motor now. If nothing than why would you swap it. The american 4g63t is just as good as the JDM. Hope you didnt spend to much money just for the JDM part. If you want to sell your motor if its still good, I know a few that might pick up your 6 bolt if the price is right.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back