The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Pulling motor in 1990 talon tsi

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

an orange crayon

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 13, 2012
missoula, Montana
Just looking for some tips on pullling the motor out of my 1990 talon tsi, i have it down to just the block and internals, just wanting to know some tips like droping it out the bottom or pulling it out of the top. And just any other pointers that will make this not as much of a head ach.

If you have a jack that goes up really, really high, you can support the block with the jack as you pull the mounts then slowly lower it and slide it onto the ground and then try to lift the frame up enough to slide it out.

I agree with having someone help you carry it out by hand. 2 people can lift it, you can use the jack like previously mentioned to remove the mounts.

If you don't have any help I would rent a engine crane. I bought one from Harbor freight because I never have help when I work. It was easy even with the trans still on and using a load leveler.

If you have the trans off and can't rent a crane then good old fashion muscle will do just fine. It will take longer to drop it out the bottom and it's more complicated than supporting the bottom with a jack and removing the mounting bolts and just lifting it out.

i just pulled a motor out of my 91 and a 92 and its really hard to try to lift it out the top without even if its stripped. i luckily had a friend that let me borrow one. Call around to the local auto parts stores some of them have hoist to rent/ loan.

Rent the engine crane, or buy one. As mentioned it's not fun to pull a motor when your actually pulling.

But to your answer your question get the axles out. Free the outer ends of the spindles first at the hubs and using a pry bar gently put the pry bar in between the transmission and just use it to pop the axles out.

Loosen the mounting bolts then support the motor with a jack. If you have another jack support the trans and remove the transfer case and down pipe then the transmission bolts. Remove the mounting bolt for the trans, front mount and back mount the lower the motor and trans so it's at a tilt to make it a bit easier to pull the trans. Then pull the transmission off and lower it.

Over all you'll make it very easy by getting a engine crane.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back