The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Pulling W5M33 intermediate shaft roller bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebrownman1

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2015
Medicine Hat, AB_Canada
I'm currently rebuilding a W5M33 transmission but I can't seem to get the bearing puller plate behind the bearing on the intermediate shaft. I can only get it on the cage. Can this bearing be pulled this way or will it destroy it?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm currently rebuilding a W5M33 transmission but I can't seem to get the bearing puller plate behind the bearing on the intermediate shaft. I can only get it on the cage. Can this bearing be pulled this way or will it destroy it?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
It can and yes it usually destroys it. If the cage gets destroyed there is a lip on the inner race also.

Quick jaunt through the w5m33 manual says special tool MD998801, which no one has of course, and appears to be a normal looking bearing puller.. but in the drawing it appears to be used upside down LOL? Thats all I got LOL. Never done it so no idea.

It can and yes it usually destroys it. If thr cage gets destroyed there is a lip on the inner race also.
I was afraid of that. Thanks!

Quick jaunt through the w5m33 manual says special tool MD998801, which no one has of course, and appears to be a normal looking bearing puller.. but in the drawing it appears to be used upside down LOL? Thats all I got LOL. Never done it so no idea.
Exactly, unless I shave a steel plate some how I wont get it off. It also looks like it says to pull the on the cage.

I was afraid of that. Thanks!

Exactly, unless I shave a steel plate some how I wont get it off. It also looks like it says to pull the on the cage.
Ive pulled one off before with no damage but not often. The bearing isn't that expensive. Just get a new one.

Use an OTC1123. Have press stands around 8" total height. Remove 1/2 gearset first, then do the outer tapered roller bearing removal last.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back