The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Pulling Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo2g

5+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2017
Fallbrook, California
I need to pull the block on a 98 GST 5 speed to inspect after developing a rod knock. I am hoping to pull the engine alone as I need to be able to role the vehicle out of the shop once Im done. If the front components and balancer/harmonic damper are removed, can pressure plate clear the bell housing on the transmission?

From what I understand, on a 2g, 3 of 4 mounts connect to the transmission anyway, so would it be better to just leave all that connected and maneuver the engine? Not having to pull axles etc.

Last edited:
Step 1
With the vehicle on the ground in it's determined service spot, unbolt the upper ball joints from the spindles on the driver's and passengers side

Step 2
Raise the vehicle and place jack stands under the chassis in the proper place

Remove wheels and using a popper tool remove upper ball joint from the spindles, the spindle will now angle pretty far forward. It is wise to remove the caliper to gain extra clearance

With the added clearance from the spindles rotating forward you have enough room to successfully pop the axles out of the transmission. Oops drain oil first LOL

Unbolt the front trans mount and remove the crossember

Once the axles are popped out of the trans the rest is just unplugging wires and bolts

The car can still be a roller without the trans

The laziest way after popping the axles is to lower the car onto the engine with a dolley under the motor. Car will rest on the rotors, unbolt all the motor mounts and cross member, and then use the engine hoist to lift the chassis off the motor and trans

You are correct, on a 2g fwd the rear trans mount bolts the trans to the rear main sub frame, the front trans mount bolts the trans to the radiator cross member, and the third is the main trans mount on the top of the trans

To remove the rear mount use three long extensions on a 14mm socket going down by the throttle body to the cross member

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed response, I haven't got to start on it yet, every time I go in on my day off I get suckered into working since I'm on flag rate and there money on the table. One of these days will be slow enough LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back