The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Pullied head for HG and cams, how does the motor look?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApexVIII

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2008
Modesto, California
i know you cant see much on the Cyl walls but how does everything else look? 126k on the motor i am doing all the basic maintenance, Tbelt BS belt tensioner, pully, ARP's, OEM MLS HG

there is alot of junk on the valves so im having a valve job done on the head while it is getting resurfaced

oh and i got the car at about 116k miles and have done Sea Foam like 3 or 4 times LOL the first time it smoked for like 10+ min but the car dove alot better

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Head and pistons pictures are from Left to Right

LOL what causes them to get like that? just miles?

would those crustations cauce hot spots? ### i can only get like 9* max timing on our crappy 91 pump wiht out knock at about 20 psi

Looks like the exhaust valves bounced off the pistons. Did you bend them?

i think something might have happened. the car ran perfectly fine before i pulled the head, i did a compression test about 4 months ago and it was 155 all across

but its ok i got extra stock valves i am gunna have them put in when they do the valve job

well put it this way I yanked the head off of my 90 with 160k when the piston melted (heat soaked the ic) and it didnt look that bad.

Here is the bad piston.. but the rest of the piston looked that clean other than the melting of the piston.

Head

Valves

this isnt the same motor or head on my 91

Definate Valve contact. And definatly time for a Hot tank dip and rebuild.
Wow those valves are nasty.
You can clearly see where the seafoam left a buildup on the valves.
Looks like Im going water injection instead of seafoam for now on when its clean time.

Definate Valve contact. And definatly time for a Hot tank dip and rebuild.
Wow those valves are nasty.
You can clearly see where the seafoam left a buildup on the valves.
Looks like Im going water injection instead of seafoam for now on when its clean time.

It's pretty much the same if your talking about running water through your system. I'm not to sure about the theory of Meth Injection cleaning it but some have claimed it does.

Something definitely happened because when I pulled my 7-bolt apart after it jumped timing and killed the motor my pistons and valves were pretty decent. I had near 160k+ on it too.

yea i have extra valves they are gunna put in instead of the bent ones

i cleaned the piston looks pretty good

a few more pictures, the head is ready to go the machine shop

The buildup on the valves is from standard fuel additives. Looks pretty much like every 150,000+ mile engine I have ever pulled apart, including my 4G63. Supposedly "detergent" fuels keep the exhaust valves cleaner longer, but they will always get buildup over time.

It's not the buildup of crabon/crud that would concern me but the color of them. It looks like those valves where getting pretty hot due to how white they are. That is usually caused from either leaking valve seats or to narrow of a valve margin. Usually high milage motors have semi white exhaust vavles but not solid white like those look.

Did you do some port work on your heads? I hope you didn't mess with the short radius. If you did you will probably see some power loss. Best area's to even touch if you don't know how to work a 4G63 head is clean up the combustion chamber. Clean the casting out of the bowls and if you have the guides out do some work on the guide bosses. And port match the intake and exhaust. Much past that you are going to effect intake velocity by a large margin and see some pretty hefty losses.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back