1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Pulled the trigger too soon.

Posted by jdub099, Sep 20, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. jdub099

jdub099 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 2, 2019
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm a fan of buying (and selling) used parts, it's a good part of what makes this hobby fun for me and the reason why I have more of an affinity for the DSM community rather than my other car community (1965 Mustang) where people generally buy once and change their minds less.

I needed a turbo and the used market was turbo thin so I just bought an Evo III 16G from ExtremePSI. Then of course within a week I see an HTA68 and FP Green for sale for around what I paid for the E316G. The Green is for an external gate off the O2 but the thing is I have a 38mm gate on the shelf and an O2 sensor housing was one of my other purchases, so it could easily have worked.

I'm going from a 6766 on a 2.3L making 708hp down to the E316G. The E316G is probably a little small for my application but it's also a sure bet for quality and reliability being a brand new MHI turbo. That Green probably would have been a better match though. I should have been more patient.

2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Could always talk to extremepsi and see if they'd take the e316g back and credit it towards the 68hta or green. Can't hurt to ask.

Street Build 218  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

316  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 868  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. jdub099

jdub099 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 2, 2019
    Denver, Colorado
    Yeah, but I don't want to pay the price of a new Green or HTA68 right now. I'm talking about used Green or HTA68s.

I'm just going to run the 16G. That's life.

4. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Don't you love it when that happens?

Street Build 8K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  5. Dsm panda

Dsm panda Proven Member

Joined Dec 8, 2017
    Franklin, Wisconsin
    Every time I buy from rock auto this happens...for example I redid the whole front end on my 2g the next week on here they post there discount code....that's life

994  2

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    327 whp · 307 lb/ft · 1G DSM

Street Build 604  2

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. jdub099

jdub099 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 2, 2019
    Denver, Colorado
    Oh yeah, can't forget that FP now (as of this week I believe) has a limited quantity of MHI Small 16Gs for $499 that they will upgrade to HTA68 for $400, for a total of $899, or $100 more than my E316G. Talk about the wrong time for me to buy a turbo.

7. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    That does suck. You will take a pretty big hit selling the E3 used. I see them all day for ab 400 in almost new condition.

But that turbo can make 350 to 400 hp

Autocross Build 161  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. Bo0sTeD 4G63

Bo0sTeD 4G63 Supporting Member

Joined Aug 31, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    That has happened to me multiple times but I have learned to be patient and make sure that's the route I'm headed at least for the time being. Just run the E3 for now and see how it goes you could always change your setup later.

Street Build 984  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  9. jdub099

jdub099 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 2, 2019
    Denver, Colorado
    It'll be fine. Who honestly only ever buys one turbo anyway? Can't rob myself of the opportunity to change turbos later.

This car had tons of modifications on it when I bought it, I'm reversing or changing a lot of it. Kind of a weird car- still has A/C, PS, cruise control, stock radio, etc. But had 2.3L with unknown "Stage IV" cams (need to pull the valve cover and take a look), PTE 6766 and JM Fab race manifold. 5" thick Garret Intercooler. But ebay BOV. Dual fuel pumps. But stock lines. It's just odd. The wiring is a bit of a mess too, that's what I've been working on while I wait for other parts to arrive.

Once I get this car sorted out on the 16G we'll see what's next (I don't think I ever want more than a Green).

10. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    That Evo3 turbo is just a great turbo though, you cant ever go wrong with one of those, probably the funnest turbo ever for the 4g63.

Drag Race Build 3K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM