The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

pulled sparkplugs and it was oily

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowdrag

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
The shop just finish installing new short and new cylinder head and a new tranny. Just notice today that the engine check light came on with P0303, cylinder 3 misfire. I pull out plugs 2 and 3 and found that these 2 plugs were kinda oily. I checked the compression and it was 180 across.

Is this normal for a new motor? I also had them install a metel HG. New motor, oil pump, water pump, tranny, timing belt, sprockets, pulley were all installed. I also notice that my p vacuum from the TB was missing, looks like it was ripped out or do the 99's not come with it?

Thanks for any inputs.

For starters, you stated that you installed a short block AND a long block and a new tranny?? It seems that for the first few miles on the engine it might leak alittle oil, the rings need to seat in nice and good.

if your compression is good I'd say drive it alittle more and let the rings seat properly.

holland said:
For starters, you stated that you installed a short block AND a long block and a new tranny?? It seems that for the first few miles on the engine it might leak alittle oil, the rings need to seat in nice and good.

if your compression is good I'd say drive it alittle more and let the rings seat properly.

Oh, what I meant was new short block with new cylinder head. The dealership could only order these parts individually. So this is normal then? Is there a certain RPM that I should stay away from or how or when will the motor be broken in?

Thanks.

Need more info. Were the plugs oilly on the electrodes or on top where the plug wires attach. If they are oil covered where the wires are your valve cover is leaking.If not keep an eye on your plugs and drive it a liitle more to see if the problem persists with the misfire. Also you should change those two plugs and make sure to check for spark from your wires. As far as a new motor goes I wouldn't run high boost and keep your rpms down low for a few thousand miles to make sure everything has a chance to seat properly. Change your oil after 500 miles and then do the usuall 3,000 and you should be fine. If you high boost or overrev to soon you might be doing another engine again so I would play it on the safe side and take it easy. Travis

break in is usually around 500 miles or so, after that check your plugs again to see if theres still oily, if the rings havn't set yet then you may get oil on the plugs, I'd say stay lower then 4.5k until 500 miles.

91 Turbo Mitsu said:
Need more info. Were the plugs oilly on the electrodes or on top where the plug wires attach. If they are oil covered where the wires are your valve cover is leaking.

It is oily from the electrode side of the plugs (internal). I have not full throttle the car or went past 4.5k, but the stock t04e is set at 14 psi.

Just got 450 miles on my new motor and my car keeps throwing a P0303, cylinder 3 misfire. While on the high way, my car seems to have this miss and go at 3k RPM. Help??? The shop said to drive it for 2k miles, but I don't think a new motor will act in such a way. Every shop will give you that excuse tho, I think.

No its not the new motor, you have some other problem. You could have plug, wire, coil, transistor, ecu, fuel delivery problem. You also may have a broken spark plug seal on teh valve cover that can be leaking.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back