The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G PTU and noise capacitor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse 1998

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2010
,, Indiana
In the process of relocating a few components.

Based on the circuit diagram, I’m understanding that the PTU and noise capacitor need a chassis ground.

I’m wondering if I could get away with not grounding the PTU?

The noise cap will be ground to the lower left stud on the abs bracket.

Attachments

• 9C215CC3-41EB-4F39-A53E-21610A9D37DE.jpeg
    9C215CC3-41EB-4F39-A53E-21610A9D37DE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • 785F8807-6A0D-409D-940D-272B5EC517E2.jpeg
    785F8807-6A0D-409D-940D-272B5EC517E2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
I see, are you talking about the mounting point being a ground? I've seen people have them dangling, but am not sure of I'll effects. Personally I'd have it body mounted as well as harness grounded as it may help prevent EM fields from affecting operation. Is there a major reason you can ground it after relocating?

Perhaps @luv2rallye could weigh in.

Mine is the one that is dangling.....but any point on the car to keep it from being bumped around will work. Mine just sits in the intake valley as I have relocated the coil. Check it from time to time to make sure it stays tight. I have a tach filter and it has to be grounded so it is bolted to the intake.

Mine's just dangling not grounded to anything and has been like that for a very long time. I have had issues where I thought the PTU was failing and dropping half of it's outputs before though. I'm not sure if that was the PTU failing or something else causing the problem.

Thanks for the input. I still have a couple things to button up but here’s a picture roughly what I came up with.

Attachments

• 35410F6A-F426-487A-A1D1-AF97E099DCFD.jpeg
    35410F6A-F426-487A-A1D1-AF97E099DCFD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 145
Looks like a fine place to put the PTU. Secure, not bouncing around anywhere. I like your neatness!

the PTU should be mounted to something to serve as a heatsink. Looks like the bracket you made serves that purpose nicely

Thanks again for the information and reassurance. Planning to finish up the battery relocation sometime this week, time permitting of course.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back