The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

PTE 6466 vs Xona 9569S

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That is pretty amazing. What exact part number are the fans though?
That I couldn’t tell you, what I can tell you is they’re some cheap ching chong specials that were laying in @goonie90gsx ‘s garage I threw on it when I took off the 16g and had to be able to clear the hx35 I was using at the time.

I'm not sure if this helps, but testing a XR 8064S vs 3586HTA, I have some data. Same size turbine wheel, in fact I installed both turbos in the same ~.82 T3 housing.

Haven't heard of a 8064s as a 62mm option... only the 7864s. Is this a new offering?
And for some reason I though the 3586 used a 62mm turbine exducer vs the 64mm in the XR. Find it odd that it dropped into the same 35 series housing.
Nice results!

Haven't heard of a 8064s as a 62mm option... only the 7864s. Is this a new offering?
And for some reason I though the 3586 used a 62mm turbine exducer vs the 64mm in the XR. Find it odd that it dropped into the same 35 series housing.
Nice results!

It's basically a 7864S, just stretched 1 more mm to the maximum 62.9mm allowed by most rules. Worth 2 more lbs/min. The 3586 used the standard 64mm GT35R turbine. It's also the same size turbine in the HD3582 series turbos. Turbine housings interchanged on all of these for me. There may be slight differences inside that I can't see, but it's working.

Yeah, it looks like you guys are right. I could have sworn I remember looking it up and the standard 35r turbine being 64mm, but it indeed 62mm. The HD3582s are 62mm as well. I definitely swapped turbine housings between the 3586hta and the HD3582 BB and JB, but I did use the XR turbine housing with the 8064S.

Yeah, it looks like you guys are right. I could have sworn I remember looking it up and the standard 35r turbine being 64mm, but it indeed 62mm. The HD3582s are 62mm as well. I definitely swapped turbine housings between the 3586hta and the HD3582 BB and JB, but I did use the XR turbine housing with the 8064S.
Not to get off topic but that essentially tells us the hd3582 and it’s branded otherwise counterparts would indeed work in the old bolt on fp35 housing, which I always figured so as I had seen the “Pulsar” 3076 in an fp30 housing before but couldn’t confirm the 35r stuff.

Yea, HD35 and HTA35 are swappable. The XR stuff with the UHF turbine is its own animal.
Where could a normal person order that 8064s retail?

It can certainly be ordered directly through FP, but I bet dealers like myself could get it by request too.

After doing some research seems like there's also an 8969s that's available from Xona too... for mean street. Same concept, stretching out the 64mm to class limits of 64.9.

Let's see how well that competes with the NextGen 6466.

On the Morrison pages for the "DSM Small Runner T3 Manifold and Hot Parts" and the "DSM Small Runner Xona V-band Manifold and Hot Parts" it says "Maintains all OEM accessories such as A/C and power steering".

But I would want to know a lot more details before getting started in that direction.

To keep the AC you have to keep the alternator in the stock position (and make a heat shield for it probably), you need 2 fans (which you would anyway), and of course you need to keep the AC condenser in place.

I would want to know which fans exactly and where they would go.

The good slim fans are the Spal fans that have an overall thickness of 62.1mm per the Spal drawings. Both pusher and puller. Those are being used by me, Vegas, Marty, and lots of people. There are thinner Spals that are only 51.1mm OA thickness and they are quite a bit weaker, so I wouldn't want to have to use those.

The Xona turbos (for example) in your size range are available with the X2R compressor housing which is nice and small. Same size as what I have on my car, I think. With that I bet the passenger side fan could be a puller (behind the radiator). Like on my car.

On the Driver side, that's where there's more details to sort out. The fan on that side might have to be a Pusher, in front of the radiator. With the condenser there I don't know how much room that leaves you for a fan that is 62.1 mm thick. On my car with no condenser I have 4.3" about from the back of the intercooler to the front of the radiator core, measured back from the top of the intercooler.

I wouldn't want to have to do what Morrison calls the "1g Radiator Mount Modification" which they have a Technical page for. I don't think you would have to. But I'd want to be sure. If you are comfortable doing that type of mod then it probably would be ok.

Then of course there is the oil cooler to think about, which normally is up there somewhere. If you even want to have one.

The SPAL fan part number is 30101504. Nice quality fan with a good balance for dimensions/flow rating.

Often one of the main constraints for fitment on a 1g (IMO) comes down to the distance between the front engine roll stop and the radiator/fan. There is only so much room between the two for the compressor outlet/lower IC pipe. A 2.5" 90deg coupler often clears well (being ~3" on the outside), but folks using an additional fan shroud will push the slim fans back further and close that gap between the roll stop. Sometimes the LICP can go a bit above the roll stop and get around this, but depends on the turbo etc. A tubular crossmember with a much smaller diameter roll stop opens up more room, and/or a cast 90deg elbow welded to a shortened compressor cover.
In short though, this works out just fine as-is with those puller fans and factory radiator setup, with options available to open up more room without needing to do the radiator mount mod (since that doesn't jive with the AC condenser), but does highlight how it opens up a lot of room right where it's needed if that's an option.

For the XR compressor cover, the X3C clears great (X4C where applicable as well) and offers nothing but improvement for what it does to the compressor map. On their website they list all of the compressor maps in each housing, with all of them seeming to exceed their flow rating which is pretty cool IMO.

We can chat more about it, just don't want to go too far off this thread :)

Last edited:
Back to the original post-
The first results were lackluster, but hoping @perrytheplatypus157 gets a chance to share some of the more recent findings with 6466 vs the 9569S paired in the TiAL v-band housing- specifically the .63AR.
The UHF/Xona really seem to shine in the TiAL housings, and Robert has been saying early on that the UHF likes a smaller than typical AR, and that really seems to be true here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back