The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Prothane front roll stopper

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert503

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2008
Newberg, Oregon
92 tsi awd
In the middle of installing the the prothane motor mount inserts and I’m trying to determine what insert is the one that needs to be pressed in. I will not be doing the rear roll stopper until I pull the trans to do the clutch. I’ve got the driver side and passenger mount already installed. I have some pics I will post at the end. The front roll stopper that came out did not have the non reusable nut that looks like it should have teeth on it to lock into the factory roll stopper(going off the service manual) and the bolt that goes through the mount was very loose fitting.

So what I have is a two piece mount and a mount that needs to be pressed in. The bolt fits nicely into the two piece mount and sleeve but the two piece mount doesn’t completely seat on the front roller mount. What made me question this is the two piece insert I have in the mount didn’t want to squeez back into the mount on the engine. Gut feeling is that I need to press the one piece Insert into the front roll stopper but then that leaves me with the bolt that doesn’t fit right into the sleeve, and the sleeves are not interchangeable between the two mounts. Also I just didn’t have the sleeve pressed in all the way in the pic.. Any help is appreciated
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Probably just a different manufacturer. Not sure which one would be better but I'd go with the tighter-fitting on the left.
That was my first thought but I couldn’t really get it to squeeze back into the two ears coming off the engine. The one piece insert is an 1/8 inch narrower and fits much easier and I found a Sleeve in my dads bolt bin that takes care of the slop. Send it? I just need to shave the inner sleeve a little so they are same length

Often times you have to loosen all mounts about halfway so that you can get yours bolts screwed in a little on the last mount then you tighten everything down.

Often times you have to loosen all mounts about halfway so that you can get yours bolts screwed in a little on the last mount then you tighten everything down.
I got it pressed into the front roll stopper. Now my issue is getting the center bolt to line up with the engine ears. The holes in the ears are about a 3/8 inch low as if the engine needs to raise up a little to fit the new mounts. I’m worried about stressing the engine like that, I would loosen the other mounts before but still it seems like the wrong thing to do and then secure it like that in a “stressed” position. Any one else run into this? Maybe slotting the existing holes on the ears coming off of the engine.

Picture of possible slotting

Last edited:
Just jack up the engine a 1/2" and you're good.
Took your advice and my dads and just loosened the other mounts up and jacked it up using a 2x4 on the mounting ears for that motor mount. Was a bit of a pain getting the bolt in all the way, had to use some similar sized non tapered punches to get it all aligned then bang the bolt through as it knocked the punch out. Thanks again for the advice. Loving the poly upgrade already, gotta feel those vibrations, and less engine jerking around between gears.. and the sleeve insert I pictured above worked out perfect for anyone who is in the same situation.

Took your advice and my dads and just loosened the other mounts up and jacked it up using a 2x4 on the mounting ears for that motor mount. Was a bit of a pain getting the bolt in all the way, had to use some similar sized non tapered punches to get it all aligned then bang the bolt through as it knocked the punch out. Thanks again for the advice. Loving the poly upgrade already, gotta feel those vibrations, and less engine jerking around between gears.. and the sleeve insert I pictured above worked out perfect for anyone who is in the same situation.
Beautiful. Glad it worked out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back