The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Prothane Engine mount busted?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskanDsm

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
***CLARIFICATION***

Accidentally labeled as Prothane when in fact, the inserts are simply polyurethane material.

I looked under the hook of my car today to check a coolant leak i notice on my quick lunch run from work. I looked under my hood today to find the following Disturbing image.

Does this usually happen??

I am going to contact the manf. to get more information... I am just confused as to why..

Attachments

• 20120923_160203_zps62106fba.jpg
    20120923_160203_zps62106fba.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 20120923_160155_zps94a97c46.jpg
    20120923_160155_zps94a97c46.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 20120923_160143_zps3e701be6.jpg
    20120923_160143_zps3e701be6.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
What's the condition of your front/rear mounts? The engine rolling excessively could stress the engine and trans mounts. That could easiy result in a broken mount since Poly mounts won't flex like the stock rubber mounts.

They are also polyurethane mounts. The front mount from visual inspection looks fine. The rear mount is currently difficult to see while at work.

Last edited:
@ 007jimmy - The front and rear are solid. Same as the one pictured as they are a set.

@ spool4fun - Yea! That is why I contacted the manufacturer. I knew they had a lifetime warranty. They have been a fantastic product and I am still very happy with them, But this also has me concerned. They have been used in a lot of different applications and are able to take a beating quite well! The reason for this post is not to bring about negativity to this product as I do still like it, I am just concerned on how this could occur.

So as to an update....

I have been busy and have not had the time to follow up on this issue until now. I reached out to the manufacturer of the mounts and they are requesting that I fill out the warranty claim and send pictures of the problems. I plan on sending the pictures and form out tomorrow to see what they are going to say about the issue.

Is polyurethane something that cracks/crumbles easily? I would think it would have to be under some extreme stress to for this to occur...

No they are good mounts from a reputable place. They aren't cheap mounts either. I just happened to snag them on a group buy for Black Friday in the past.

But I'm just concerned because I think 2 of the 4 mounts that I have are having cracking/crumbling issues with the polyurethane. I haven't seen that happen before... at least not from normal driving.

My 2 cents could possibly be a chemical reaction.

like if you cleaned your engine bay with some chemical that brittled the polyurethane or something similar. other than that a bad batch of poly mix could have been the culprit, they have to be accurate in ratio for the intended purpose.

I don't think those are Prothane bushings inside there. I know people running Prothane's and Energy Suspension bushings for years (I'm talkin some from the late 90's)

I've wondered about where Drop Engineering gets their bushings from? I only say this because I haven't often seen green. Just wondering if the compound is different from the major companies. Maybe its just random bad one. I'd also take a look at your others. Hopefully they help you out and do a fast turn around.

Definitely weird, ive run prothane mounts one my heavily modded Stealth TT and DSM for more than 5 years and never had any issues, I guess i never really thought that I ever would.

Actually, I'm going to step outside and check my cars really quick, if i don't make another response in this thread then I can say for certain that I've never had any issues.

Just to clarify.. These are polyurethane. Without thinking, when I originally made this thread, labeled the inserts incorrectly. My apologies.

And for the purpose of the thread I am just keeping the discussion more aimed at the issue and not at any manufacturer. I am working at a resolution for the issue through warranty from the manufacturer. We shall see how it turns out.

Also the rear mount also appears to have been damaged. Just so weird!

If this is a set of Drop Engineering mounts they come with a "no question asked" limited lifetime warranty, whatever that means. For the price they should replace the bushing for free. I was going to buy them at the time you likely bought them from a vendor in here, the price was really interesting, but I was a little worried by the fact that the size of the bushings doesn't seem to match the stock ones (i.e. for compatibility with prothane) and that they actually sell the replacement bushing for a whopping $30each mount (why selling them if they're not going to break, just to change the color...uhmm). The driver side doesn't look that sturdy either but I wouldn't know since I never made the move to buy them.

Last edited:
Do these mounts have the metal bolt sleeve insert as well? I could see how a bolt without the sleeve could twist & break the mount.

If I recall correctly, there is a metal sleeve that the bolt goes in. There is no direct contact between the mounts and the bolt.

As far as the manufacturer goes, I got a reply and they are asking for pictures of each mount and the warranty form. I need to get the pictures tonight so I can send in the form and see what they say. The rear mount is going to be a pain.

I honestly have had ZERO complaints about this product and was happy as they are easy to install and I could feel the car being stiffer during driving than with the rubber OEM mounts. So far my dealings with the Manf. have been good and as long as all goes well, I will continue to be happy with the product and company... pending this doesn't become a re-occuring issue.

As an update... all warranty information, paperwork, receipts, pictures have been submitted. It is in the hands of the manufacturers at this point. I am confident that this will have a positive resolution but until then, I will just keep everyone up to date on this no questions asked, lifetime warranty.

So I heard back from the manufacturer. They responded well under 24 hours to my warranty request email and immediately offered to replace the two inserts that were broken in the same color. They also offered to replace all four insert sets across all of the mounts at no additional charge and I could choose any color that I would like. So I chose to get all of my inserts replaced in blue instead of Frankenstein green. I should have the new inserts in 3-5 days. The only thing that I am paying is $10 for shipping charges.

Honestly, even though it took me forever to submit my warranty request, the Manufacturer has been amazing during this time answering my questions and concerns very fast and efficiently. They truly are standing by their warranty and I am very happy so far. Once I get the new inserts, I will update again. I am still having zero regrets about the purchase and installation of these mounts.

I am glad to see a positive result from them, I will now be trying to do the same thing. I looked at my rear mount last night and it is damaged similar to your passenger side one.

UPDATE: I went directly to there website, contacted them with a warranty claim and they responded to my claim with in 24 hours also. I was given the same response as AlaskanDSM. I have submitted my warranty claim they emailed me as well as the pictures and a copy of the receipt. I'm now waiting on them to ship me the new mount. I wasn't offered to choose all new mounts as he was.

Last edited:
Dang buddy, you've been 8 months and still not new mounts? Doesn't say a lot for that manufacturer. Have you been driving it anyway?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back