The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Pros and cons for going .020 over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRT-4-Chad

Probationary Member
Feb 4, 2005
Terre Haute, Indiana
Here recently my counter balance shaft belt started to shred so I parked the car til I get it fixed. I've decided to go with the eliminator kit and while I have the motor outta the car I am going to overhaul it (with 161,000 miles it's due for it). My objective is to make a 300hp +/- reliable daily driver. On my quest searching for an overhaul kit, a well known company (not sure if they are a vendor) has a .020 over kit, for the same price as the O.E.

I have a close personal friend with a 11 sec Talon (built with his own 2 hands) that will be helping me with this project. I just want some oppinions.

BTW: I will be getting a big 16G in addition to the build.

*EDIT* What are the pros and cons for going .020" over or some would say .5mm over?

Chad

You gain roughly 2 cubic inches. You'll pick up a few more hp. Maybe :) You're taking away one (the only?) standard overbore, so if you ever NEED to bore the engine again, you have limited options (possibly have to replace the block). IMO, it's not worth doing unless you have the NEED to bore the engine (like I had recently in my 5S-FE car due to an oiling problem). Even then, we checked first to see if we could just hone it and go, but the scratches were deep enough to require boring the block out.

There's some other issues, but they aren't even worth mentioning as they're nothing compared to the above.

The only reason you need to bore the engine is if it needs it. If everything is in good condition and you can get away just a hone and a standard bore then go that route. It just means that if you need to rebuild your engine again you wont be running out of material to take out.

Great, thanks guy's. Decision time is over, parts will be ordered next week! Then gotta wait for the weather to warm up. A garage is nice, but a garage with heat would be better!

Thanks again,
Chad

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back