The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

GVR-4 Proper Wideband Grounding in a Galant VR-4 / mismatched a/f ratios

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’ve recently explored this topic and realized how little information there is regarding the importance of properly grounding your wideband controller and gauge can be to get the most accurate information. After all, this is the data you will be using to tune your vehicle with.

I am using an LC2 wideband in the o2 housing while simulating narrowband in DSMLINK. Gauge is an innovate DB gauge.

My problem:
My ECU was reading a certain air fuel ratio in DSMlink from my wideband controller while my wideband gauge was reading a different number in real time from the controller. These values were anywhere from 0.5-2.5 off from eachother often in the lean direction. This was observed by comparing the logged value LC1wideband in dsmlink and looking at my gauge.

Kevin Jewer of Six Sigma Tuning wrote up a tremendously helpful article regarding this issue. I HIGHLY encourage anyone with this particular issue to read this article.
Link: https://www.sixsigmatuning.com/wideband-o2-sensor-info

Essentially he states that 90% of the time, my issue can be resolved by using the same grounding point as your ECU for your wideband controller and gauge. Voltage is rarely an issue for this problem and most of the time it is ground related.

Galant VR-4:
Pins 101 and 106 on my ECU are ground. Verify your ground pins with a multimeter and back probe if necessary. You must follow these wires and ground your wideband to the same point(s). In my case, both ground wires went to different locations. This may not be your case, you need to trace your wiring, unplug the ECU harness and go hunt it down and hook to one of them. Soldering into this wire can work but I’ve been told it is more accurate to go to the exact grounding location.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I assumed that my ECU ground was on the corner bracket ground screw that holds the ECU in the galant so this is where I was hooked to originally. Pins 101 and 106 were the same black with red color adding to the confusion.

Please keep in mind every car may be different and I don’t know if all galants are the same as far as ECU grounding locations. At the end of the day, the ECU references a certain ground and your wideband references a certain ground. We need to make sure they are referencing the same ground so that the data is the same.

After following one of the ECU ground pins I saw it turn through my harness and head upwards into the dash to ground location #10 in the diagram below:

Ground location #10 is way up there above the metal crossmember tube. I had to remove my glovebox to get in there and use a short screwdriver. I could barely get the camera up to take this photo. Notice in the diagram it’s basically all the way up and behind the hvac vent on the passenger side:

I took a soldered ring terminal and put it on this screw, ran it down to my old wiring and soldered it all together connecting my wideband controller and gauge to this ground location. Don’t forget your shrink wrap.

My ECU and my gauge were now on the money with eachother giving me reliable readings to continue the tuning process with. I can now trust my gauge when I look at it which is a great feeling. It makes me wonder how many people might have very inaccurate readings and they don’t even know it. Check yours in dsmlink!!

At the end of the day every car, harness, ECU, etc are all different and can be setup any number of ways. This was just my experience in this galant which may or may not be like other galants. Trace your wires and follow the procedure either way. No matter what you have make sure your ground references for such an important device in the tuning process match your ECU’s reference. Just because your gauge turns on and says stuff doesn’t mean it’s correct stuff 🙂

Last edited:
Yep, always ground the WB gauge to the same point that the ECU is grounded and they will match up. I had the same issue and KJ told me to move my ground, and VIOLA, they matched. It is the proper thing to do on any vehicle not necessarily just DSM's.

Wanted to add a note that for this particular wideband kit - The innovate LC2, there is NOT a separate ground for the signal and o2 sensor heater. These are combined into one ground. The o2 sensor heater can draw a significant amount of current which is okay for the chassis ground pins (101 and 106) and NOT OKAY for pin 24. If you have a wideband kit that separates the signal ground into a different ground wire, you may be able to hook to the sensor ground pin (24) for accurate readings.

hey, your post has been a huge help for someone as incompetent as me when it comes to electrical work. i have a galant vr4 looking to install a lc-2 so i can log and get tuned using ecmlink. i want to keep my front narrowband o2 sensor and install the lc-2 in a location on my downpipe (already has a bung setup). as i understand it i can do the following:
lc-2 wires:
red wire- power wire can be spliced into the 102 location ecu wire

black wire- ground wire can be tightened onto that ground location 10 above the "metal crossmember tube" that's in your last pic there.

yellow wire- can go to 15 egr temperature sensor input wire

brown wire- not used at all

that seems to be all i need as i understand it. let me know if i'm getting this right. thanks

hey, your post has been a huge help for someone as incompetent as me when it comes to electrical work. i have a galant vr4 looking to install a lc-2 so i can log and get tuned using ecmlink. i want to keep my front narrowband o2 sensor and install the lc-2 in a location on my downpipe (already has a bung setup). as i understand it i can do the following:
lc-2 wires:
red wire- power wire can be spliced into the 102 location ecu wire

black wire- ground wire can be tightened onto that ground location 10 above the "metal crossmember tube" that's in your last pic there.

yellow wire- can go to 15 egr temperature sensor input wire

brown wire- not used at all

that seems to be all i need as i understand it. let me know if i'm getting this right. thanks
Hey so I would just verify that your chassis ground pins go to that location (or another) and ground there. If I remember correctly if the brown wire goes unused the instructions say to ground it as well.
EDIT: don’t ground brown!!! See below replies

To make sure everything is correct log the wideband (lc1wb) in dsmlink and make sure the values match what your gauge reads. I’ve been having a hell of a time getting mine to match.

Also double check your yellow wire because that is a 0-5v input to the ECU, I just can’t remember where it goes but you can program in dsmlink to accept the incoming signal to certain pins

Last edited:
awesome, good to know. i'll check the ground setup on my car just to make sure even though we have the same car. it doesnt hurt to be certain.
thanks a lot man.

awesome, good to know. i'll check the ground setup on my car just to make sure even though we have the same car. it doesnt hurt to be certain.
thanks a lot man.
Just a note - I ended up moving my ground from up in the dash down to a soldered connection right at the chassis ground wire in the ECU harness. I was still getting some mismatch and finding my ground issues and correcting them seems to be an ongoing battle. Seems a lot better now but i have more improvements to make.

Are you splitting the yellow wire and feeding both the ecu and gauge from it? That is how both of my LC2s are set up and DO NOT GROUND the brown wire. Tape it off. I run the LC1 settings in Link. Just info.

Are you splitting the yellow wire and feeding both the ecu and gauge from it? That is how both of my LC2s are set up and DO NOT GROUND the brown wire. Tape it off. I run the LC1 settings in Link. Just info.
Yes this is correct. It’s the yellow wire from the GAUGE that you ground if not in use. See below:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back