The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Project Nicole, 2gb AWD Talon Spyder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks man, She got the exhaust done yesterday sounds really great. Decided to go V-Band on the downpipe to catback section worth every penny. I'll get a few pictures later on when I get a chance. Here she is on her way to all that done :)

20140801_104918_zpsivlziqzt.jpg

It's been a while since I last updated, we sold our old twin home and bought a house so the Spyder sat in my parents garage for about 3 weeks. Finally got her to my place and started doing a little here and there. I installed my Aem wideband and started messing with link to get the idle a little cleaner. Ran into a snag driving the car though I started a separate thread in the drivetrain tech section here's the link http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/engagement-issues-very-odd-behavior.486741/ . But I'll be slowly getting to work on her and hopefully getting her driveable before spring time next year!

Won't be into paint for a while, Having transmission issues at the moment and it's halted my plans for this year.

Nope, it's powder coated and very durable when done correctly.

We pulled the transmission a few weeks ago, nothing looked bad as far as the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, TOB, fork etc So we cleaned stuff up, Added a few bolts and transmission guides we were missing and bolted her back in. Nothing changed :( we came up with the conclusion that I wasn't actually starting out in first gear, it felt more like third which would explain me having to rev the car decently high to get it moving under power. I switched out the shifter assembly, shifter cables, added 2 bushings to the bracket on the transmission that holds the cable (they were missing previously) and the only thing that changed was that I now feel like I am getting into first gear but the issue is the same. I'm completely lost at this point. My only other idea is to switch out the transmission with a known good one or have this one inspected by Jesse B. This is basically the last thing holding me back from starting to save money to get the body work completed and prepped for paint.

In the mean time I've been doing what I can on the body aspect :)

I had originally decided to use the 2ga talon rear bumper, but decided to just go full 2gb swap instead so I pulled off the 2ga bumper, had a few friends come over with a welder and help me re align the brackets and weld them into place, I'm very happy with the fitment now as it's less then a 1/16th of an inch all the way across the bottom of the tail lights and the bumper

20141219_131909_zps4reu9uc3.jpg

I've also been very lucky to pick these 2gb door strakes up from a very nice guy on the ECMlink forums he also gave me an amazing deal on them and they are already prepped for paint, I still need to mock these up and drill into the body which makes me a little nervous but it'll work out and they should really make the whole car pop!

IMG_15257594931788_zpsp5pgn3ia.jpe

That's it for now, if anyone has any other idea's as far as what could be my issue, I'm all ears! Thanks for looking

We'll, I've hit a point where I have no choice but to remove the transmission and have it gone threw :(
I changed the shifter assembly for a 100% stock one switched cables, nothing changed. I literally have no idea what else it can be other then the transmission at this point. I got everything out of the way last night so the transmission is ready to drop just ran out of daylight. We'll find out soon as I'll be dropping it off at the builders Saturday afternoon. Wish me luck :l

I dropped off the transmission to the builders house on Saturday night at 7pm, He had already tore it down and found my issues by 8am Sunday morning.

First, This transmission had been taken apart previously by someone and the gear selector bracket was installed wrong, Which is why I had never been able to get into 5th gear.

IMAG0036_zpst9jfrxrg.jpg

Second and worse of all, The center differential was completely shattered, into multiple pieces. That means the transmission was sold to me this way, The couple I bought it from had no idea were very sorry and took care of the situation very well.

IMAG0038_zpsnxu50iwd.jpg

IMAG0037_zpstpdvd88j.jpg

IMAG0040_zpspjtk0pjf.jpg

While this happened, It also took out the intermediate shaft

IMAG0041_zpstysxmgbq.jpg

Crappy situation but overall at least I now know what was causing my issues and I'm having the transmission rebuilt better then OEM here's what the builder will be doing for me

New:
1-2 Hub & Slider
1-2 Keys and springs
1st Synchro
2nd double Synchro
1-2 Shift fork
3-4 Shift fork
3rd & 4th Synchro's
Shaft Nuts
Roll Pins
Input shaft seal
T-Case output seal
Both CV Axle Seals
Case will be hot tanked and sand blasted
All preloads setup correctly

Looking forward to driving this car for real! :D stay tuned!

Yeah LOL once I get the transmission back installed and the car running, I'll be tackling that tail light job. Hopefully get this in the body shop this summer and get it to it's full colorful glory

Very nice. Doing mine in Monarch since I've seen at least 2 other silver/black spyders just here in town. Haven't seen any in in green yet though, plus I get to put a real color under the hood too.

I agree, and I'm just as anal about it. But mine is going through a full parts stripping down to even the wiring being removed, so I get to do all the jambs too. Got a lot of custom welding to be done before the paint anyway.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back