The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Project Nicole, 2gb AWD Talon Spyder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little bit of work done lately

Got my frog pod installed a bit ago and installed my autometer phantom boost gauge. (Empty spot will be for wideband)

20140406_115329_zpsozq1iu9q.jpg

Got my momo shift knob installed as well.

20140406_115401_zpsa399zi2y.jpg

I didn't get a picture of it but I removed the A/C evaporator from under the dash and got the Oem rubber grommet to plug the hole in the engine bay I'll throw a picture of it up later.

Also a friend helped me assemble the motor and get it pretty damn close to being ready to drop in

20140405_141947_zps75ohptwn.jpg

I'm hoping to have it mated to the trans and ready to drop in within the next week or two then get everything plugged in and start her up. I'm getting excited to hear her run.

Welp had a little more done recently got the transmission bolted up to the motor

teqe7ata.jpg

Got her dropped in and installed the transfer case.

eqe3agyb.jpg

Haven't had much time lately to plug stuff in but I'll get around to her soon.

Thanks for looking!

Welp had a little more done recently got the transmission bolted up to the motor

teqe7ata.jpg

Got her dropped in and installed the transfer case.

eqe3agyb.jpg

Haven't had much time lately to plug stuff in but I'll get around to her soon.

Thanks for looking!

Looking good !!!, I would barely be able to contain myself Id be plugging in stuff like a mad man! cant wait for the maiden voyage and to hear about it.

Thanks man! We've been busy as hell getting our house ready to be put on the market so this is taking a step back for a bit. Hopefully before we sell I'll have her most of the way together.

Got everything plugged in, oil filled, trans and tcase filled, coolant filled. Tried fire her up yesterday but couldn't get the starter to do anything. I'm leaning towards a bad starter I'll try and jump it directly to power and if that doesn't work, new one coming in.

Figured out my problem was my neutral safety switch :) got that soldered and heat shrinked, now I need to figure out why my fuel pump isn't turning on :/

She lives!!!!!
grin.gif
cheesy.gif
smiley.gif
grin.gif
cheesy.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Fuel pump worked great, There just wasn't enough gas in the tank LOL Two gallons from a bone dry tank just isn't enough to get it to the rail. Tossed in a few more gallons, checked for spark and found out that the plug to the crank and coil pack are exactly the same, switched those, fired right up! So damn happy, Going to let her run for a little bit change the oil, fresh oil and filter then get her moving
smiley.gif

Well I got a little bit done recently, Last week I went and picked up the majority of the parts I would need for the Awd swap, Manual swap, and the talon swap.

20131027_132833_zpsf1617198.jpg

20131027_124302_zpsa0a4e42b.jpg

20131027_124256_zps37c16213.jpg

(Ignore the auto shifter)

I got a little bored so I decided to remove my TCU and install my shifter assembly and cables. (B&M short shifter and a MOMO shift knob)

20131027_124251_zps31b86384.jpg

I also temporarily installed the rear subframe and driveline so I could line up where the rear carrier mount would need to be welded.

20131027_124237_zps27a276b7.jpg

That's it for now, I also picked up my rear 2ga bumper but it's in front of the car and I forgot to take a picture. I also decided to do an energy suspensions poly bushing kit in the rear since I have it all out right now and one of the bushings was toast. Hoping to have the whole rear end including gas tank and subframe mounted in the next few weeks before winter really sets in.

Thanks for looking!
where did you find your poly rear end bushings and how did you get them out?

Energy suspension is the kit I used. I found the best deal on the rear kit on eBay. They offer a master kit as well but I'll do my front later on. We used my friend's press at the shop he works at.

Thanks man sorry for the slow reply!

Back to wrenching on the ol gal. I thought I had a bad axle seal, turned out my rack and pinion was completely toast, got her torn out yesterday.
FB_IMG_1402442966760_zpsem8gk09p.jpg

Got the remand unit installed just need to bleed her today :)

Also cleaned up the under carriage it seemed this thing had been leaking for a longgg time everything was caked with grease dirt and whatever else could stick to it.

Thanks for looking :)

Got a little more work done, finished up the rack and pinion job, bled the rack and got the fluid filled. Installed new outer tie rods and Installed a new drivers side wheel bearing/hub assembly. Old one was garbage
20140611_175756_zps2wgtuwht.jpg

I decided to remove the shield as it was beat up pretty bad.

Next up is top off the trans, get her exhaust fabbed up and hopefully registered.

Decided to show just how retarded Mitsubishi went towards the end of the Dsm era. I couldn't figure out why my brake lights wouldn't come on, looked under the dash on the brake pedal and found it didn't have a light switch, easy enough, go to O'Reilly, purchase one come back try installing it and I find out it's the wrong style. 95 - 98 are supposed to use the same switch, my Spyder is a 98 and I couldn't figure out why I had a different plug. Well my Spyder must have been one of the last 98's made because I have the bastard 99 brake light switch plug. I ended up needing a whole new brake pedal assembly because the mount is different, the switch is different and the clip is different. The only reason I could come up with is they changed the style to save money as the 99 switch is all plastic and the 95 - 98 switch is metal. Really stupid thing to change but whatever. My friend who will be swapping his wife's Auto Gs-t had acquired the pedals from a partout and that just happen to be from a 99, his wife's Gs-t is a 98 (like my Spyder) and has the early switch so we traded brake pedal assemblies and all is well. He sent me these pictures and I'd like to show everyone the differences.

95-98 Style
IMG_7673_zpsuusdwilj.jpg

Bastard 99 Style
IMG_4364_zpsmdqeouve.jpg

And I pulled her out for some fresh air this past weekend :)

IMG_20140614_165556_zpssxp5bcqm.jpg

I have the swirly talon skirts in the garage just need to throw them on.

Thanks for looking!

I just couldn't believe it. I got super lucky that Tyler had picked off a 99 manual dsm or I'd still be looking or have to wire in the older style.

I'll keep updating for the few that like it :)

20140723_105517_zpssu3dysqp.jpg
Got this last week :) one step closer to having her registered :) having the exhaust fabbed up this weekend and then she's going to live in my parent's garage for a few weeks while we transition from selling our twin home and moving into our new house.

Sweet build man, I've been following this thread for a while now.

Wish I could run down a 2g talon bumper for my car, I have the twisties, just need the front.

And "B" from 4g63 shop is a bad ass! Come fall I will have him help me set up link in my ride as well.

Great work man..love it, mine was swapped to awd over the winter. I have all my talon pieces ready to go, but things just keep coming up and I haven't had time to get to it. My driveway in steep (I scrape) and I plan to move out by next summer so I think I might wait to put on my freshly painted Talon bumper. :cry:

Thanks guys! I'm going to be getting the exhaust system made tomorrow and after that she'll get little to no attention for about a month while we transition from selling our home to moving into our new house.

I'm kinda sad, I was hoping to have her painted and registered by mid summer but it might not happen until next year :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back