The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Project Nicole, 2gb AWD Talon Spyder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got a little more work done this past week.

I went to visit a buddy at his work and his co worker and I were talking about this project and how I needed this bracket welded for the carrier bearing, He gave me a number for a guy that lives locally and does good work. I decided to text him see if he would want to come weld it and he agreed, He decided to tig weld it so it would look better, I'm beyond happy, He only charged me 35$ bucks and he tacked down the subframe bolts from the inside.

100_3573_zps91dce330.jpg

I'm going to go to the parts store and get some undercoating and spray this down with a couple of layers from both sides.

I got bored and cleaned the AWD gas tank I had acquired

Before

20131031_155207_zps76157348.jpg

After

20131031_160711_zps82680246.jpg

I also finished up the Manual swap including pedals and the clutch master and reservoir

100_3574_zps176cae0e.jpg

100_3575_zps5c272150.jpg

Next I'll be dropping the subframe, cleaning it and laying down a black enamel to make it look semi clean then final bolt up for the tank and rear end will begin :)

Thanks for looking and I appreciate all the support!

Came back to work and got a little more done. Got the bracket painted up and mounted the AWD gas tank as well as the fuel neck.

100_3580_zpsb42b167d.jpg

Also got advised by a good friend that has also done an AWD swap on his Gs-t that I should cut an access hole for the second sending unit incase that ever goes out, You wouldn't want to drop the whole rear end and tank to fix it. I didn't have access to the stock 2g AWD plate so I went to my local junk yard and pulled another main one off a fwd 2g and use that, looks pretty good IMO

100_3577_zpsa5e95fd4.jpg

Also decided to take out my seats and carpet and give everything a good deep clean, You can see my carpet had quite a few stains and it just looked gross LOL

100_3576_zpsb19fc18f.jpg

100_3578_zps55a9f403.jpg

100_3579_zpse89e8381.jpg

I cleaned and scrubbed the carpet with a lot of purple power, elbow grease, and my pressure washer. Turned out pretty nice if you ask me :)

100_3582_zps175085ba.jpg

100_3583_zps1a69e6a5.jpg

I also cleaned up and wire wheeled my rear subframe and laid down some primer and gloss black rustoleum, I think it turned out pretty good, I forgot to take before pictures :ohdamn:

100_3584_zps32b198a5.jpg

Thanks for looking! Stay tuned for the next update! :talon::dsm:

Good work on cleaning the gas tank and getting the subframe all clean and painted:rocks:, i did all that to mine when i did the swap as well as the prothane bushings wich was a pain in the ass:barf: specially to remove all the old worn out bushings:notgood:

Thanks for the kind words guys!
I actually did end up installing energy suspension bushings on the rear knuckles while I was at it. Had a friend that works at a shop press them in for me, he said it was still a pain even with a press LOL.

Small update, got a new filler hose installed along with a new vapor breather hose yesterday. Also with the help from my lovely wife, I bolted up the subframe and diff, looks good under there :)

jeda5u5a.jpg

Next, I'll be bolting up the knuckles and installing new shoes, hardware, rotors, brake pads etc

Thanks for looking!

So I'm at it again with a decent update :)

I couldn't stand to look at these rear quarter panels anymore

20131219_180631_zpszd1dpwnu.jpg

I'm not really sure why someone would do this but they did here's what the damage was after removing the panels and speakers (Sorry for the blurry picture)

20131219_185637_zpsszcbohtp.jpg

Yes, those are 3" long wood screws and there were little wood blocks behind the speaker frame where the screw went into :/

I found the reason they decided to cut up the interior was because the aftermarket Kenwood speakers hard too large of a magnet to fit properly behind the cover, I decided to make a few calls and had luck that a local dsmr had some OEM infinity rear speakers sitting around (Thanks again Tyler B. )

100_3593_zps20c30dbb.jpg

I was very lucky to find a Spyder in a local junk yard that was barley even touched, So I grabbed the stock rear speaker covers (They were tan) and bought some interior vinyl and trim paint from the local parts store, They match the OEM covers PERFECTLY have a look for yourself :)

20131219_185647_zpsxcqy7chc.jpg

After I buttoned those up, I started working on a pair of front dual piston GSX calipers I picked up from a very generous dsmr from back east. This is what they looked like when I got them

100_3590_zps5b716c92.jpg

I scrubbed them down with some purple power and elbow grease and they turned into this

100_3592_zps196a3942.jpg

Finally I picked up some Rustoleum flat black enamel and laid down a few generous coats to each bracket and caliper, They turned out pretty good If I do say so myself :)

100_3594_zps9981e1c9.jpg

I then proceed to install all my interior trim back into the vehicle (besides the center console) and gave everything a go around with the vacuum and some Meguiars leather cleaner

100_3596_zpse80b583e.jpg

I'm not sure If I ever posted a picture of these OEM eclipse floor mats after I cleaned them but they turned out pretty nice, The stains you see weren't coming out after an hour of deep scrubbing so I left them alone.

100_3598_zps79980200.jpg

Also, my birthday was earlier this month and my wife decided to get me a little something special she knew I would love

20131203_162227_zpscp33v35g.jpg

Andddd I did a little Christmas shopping for myself :) I've been looking for one of these since the day I bought my Spyder and finally found one so I couldn't pass it up, All the way from Virginia

20131206_125702_zpshxj2l4bt.jpg

That's all for this round, Next I'm going to be dis assembling my motor and giving it a good inspection to decide where to go with it :D

Stay Tuned!

I love this build. I think I got a little turned on reading it haha. It just looks like a fun project.

I love how clean this build looks, some people just throw stuff together but your going the extra mile and it looks great!

Loving the build bro! Nice job... I just completed my spyder AWD swap and see you are doing many of the same things I did... May I suggest putting a set of JL8w3s or a 10 behind the Xbrace while you have it out! I put 2 8w3s back there while I had access to it and it sounds fantastic! It really brings the low side out without to much boom boom boom. But whatever your into at least an 8 will bring a nice balence to our music even with the top down... Just make sure you have the top down while putting them in so you know what space your working with.

It's funny you mentioned that, I'm actually not a fan of subs or anything super impressive when it comes to audio, I feel like eventually I will get something nicer for those rear panel speakers and buy a nice touch screen double din stereo but that's probably where I'll be done with it. I feel like money can be placed into better places.

Small update, I felt like working on the car this weekend, so it was time to install the new calipers, rotors, and brake pads. I don't remember having this much trouble with rotors ever!
I was smacking the rotor as much as I could with my hammer and finally got the drivers side off, new components on and turned out nice

20131228_175300_zpskxtn60da.jpg

The passenger side was a whole different story :-\

I started out by removing the old caliper and installing the new one. Next I started wacking the rotor with my hammer, didn't budge this continued for about 40 minutes, using heat, pb blaster and my hammer. Finally I decided to take the knuckle off

20131228_175314_zpssbsxqzo4.jpg

After doing this I could feel considerable play in the wheel bearing so that now had to come out as well.

Rotor came off after more hard wacking

20131228_175330_zpsogno3xwl.jpg

Then I un-bolted the wheel bearing and got that out

20131228_175235_zpsynpiwqz0.jpg

I cleaned up the surface where the bearing goes into the knuckle

20131228_175245_zpsfnypjotv.jpg

I ordered the wheel bearing from rockauto best price I found on the one I wanted. So now I play the waiting game.

Thanks for looking :)

(I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!)

Yeah I hear you when it comes to subs, but will say that even a nice set of JL audio 6x9s and 5 1/4s still was lacking in the low end rang. There is not enough enclosed space behind the front and rear speakers to produce a low end. The 8 put just enough low end in the sound to make it enjoyable to listen to with out being over powered by mids and highs..... Did you use the GSX calipers? I soda blasted my calipers to get them cleaned and then used VHT 2000deg block paint to finish them off. Came out very nice! Also along with a steam brush and some scrubbing with some steal wool to get the wheels well cleaned and toped it off with some truck roll in bed liner. Just make sure you don't get any on your struts.

Yes I used gsx calipers. I guess I'm just not a huge audio guy like you LOL as long as I can hear music and it doesn't crack or pop I'm satisfied. Money can be spent on other goodies :)

Got off work a little early and did some test fitting and mounted the support brackets for the rear bumper :)

20131231_145005_zpszzlkwyuc.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back