The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Project Dsm-97 GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbolover10

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Let me start by saying I'm glad to be back in the game!

I just recently picked up a 1997 Eclipse GSX with a spun rod bearing and after a few months of looking I am very happy with what I found:thumb:

The Good, dsmlink, 900cc injectors, afpr, fmic, evo3, fp manifold, mishimoto radiator, full 3" custom exhaust, prosport boost gauge, tuning laptop and chord, Clean shell no accidents, eibach springs "pro kit"

The Bad, Rust spot near back hatch on pass quarter panel, hood is trashed, headlights are pretty bad, front bumper is cracked, clear is pealing on driver quarter panel. I plan on taking care of all this before I drop the 6 bolt in "which is already in the process of being built."

A quick rundown of parts I already have,
Engine
6 bolt, 2g head
hks cam gears
kelford 272 cams
Arp studs
Oem composite HG
Poly bushings
Gates Timing belt
Bse elimination
new water pump OEM
New oil pump OEM
acl race bearings
OEM crank pulley

Tuning
DSM link v2.5 "for now"
980cc injectors FIC
walbro 255 "rewired"
fuel lab afpr

Exhaust
Full 3" custom turboback exhaust with stock magna flow muffler
Garret 52 trim turbo
Turbonetics t3 manifold
tial wastegate 38mm
5 bolt t3 02 housing to stock d/p

Body
New headlights, front bumper, sunroof and in the process of finding a new hood.
Plans on making a HD front lip along with this stuff. I'm also going to be preping it for paint and fixing the rust spot in the rear.

I don't really have a HP goal but I'm going to start at around 400 until I can get the right transmission to handle more. With that being said let me start by showing you my new project. Let me know what you guys and gals think!!
img1547z.jpg
img1557sp.jpg
dsc03269db.jpg
dsc03268zf.jpg
dsc03272nq.jpg

dsc03283rj.jpg

dsc03279x.jpg

dsc03291u.jpg

dsc03292zs.jpg

Last edited:
The black interior is nice but its way to beat up to keep in here when I have near mint black/grey interior in my FWD talon:hellyeah:

So the fun begins, first things first rip out all old interior and replace with black/grey. I'm also switching the carpet because thats trashed aswell.
Here's some pics of the progress so far. More pics coming soon.
img1570sk.jpg
img1571vs.jpg
img1572yh.jpg
img1573u.jpg
img1574tb.jpg
img1575ep.jpg
img1577b.jpg
Black interior? Mine is same year and model with gray
Painted black, with black leather seats. Everything is pretty worn out as you can see though.

Last edited:
Looks nice just a little tlc and she will be running in no time, great find! I'm interested to see where this goes.:thumb:

Thanks, she is getting a bunch of attention over this break!!

So far I've swapped some of the interior,I still have to swap the dash, headliner and sunroof. Right now I'm workin on new rotors, new pads and stainless brake lines. I also cleaned the wheel wells and painted them to help clean everything up and protect the metal at the same time.

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow of the progress!

I paid 2300, he was asking 3k.
Ive already sold the turbo setup, so I'm down under 2k now!! :)

On a side note I was working on the brakes earlier and a black widow crawled out which lead me to her new name white widow LOL.. More to come soon!

pics of the wheel well

Coming right up!:sneaky:
The rotors are a little rusty from sitting but I'm happy for now, once I drive the car it will clean them right up.

I was only able to get the front SS brake lines on, unfortunately the pass rear was stripped out:ohdamn: I tried a few things to get it off but figured it wasn't worth the trouble. So I left the stock lines on the rear for now.

The second issue I ran into was a bolt breaking off in the calliper frame on the drivers side... I dont think drilling it out will be possible or at least worth the time so I'm hoping to find the outer frame of the driver side caliper.:hmm:
GREAT TO BE BACK LOL.

Here's a few pics of the progress so far and my 95 talon tsi that I'm swapping parts out with. Cell phone pics for now, I'll get good pics when its painted!!
img1581wk.jpg

img1582ck.jpg

img1583h.jpg

img1585slc.jpg

img1586y.jpg

img1587jv.jpg

img1595js.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin' good!

Got a bunch more done today! Switched both dashboards and sunroofs, now I can finish getting both interiors completely bolted together and move on to the next step:D
img1600ry.jpg
img1599xr.jpg
img1604k.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet find! Not bad for under 2k! So whats everything you are swapping from the TSI?

Thanks! So far the complete interior, short shifter, sunroof and rims.
Next, front bumper and headlights.

I actually came across a fresh 6 bolt that I might be able to throw in the car until I get my other one built too. It's got 2g pistons on 6bolt rods, arps it sounds like a solid platform.

More pics coming soon! Just about finished the interior today.

Subs. Looks like a good project.

Thanks for joining BlackMount, glad to have you.

I finished wiring up the boost gauge and wideband yesterday. I Also put the rest of the interior back together and took some pics.

Here's Before the other headlights
img1618ua.jpg
img1620cb.jpg
AFTER,
img1622en.jpg
img1625g.jpg
img1626gv.jpg
img1627zb.jpg
img1621x.jpg
INTERIOR,
img1610c.jpg
img1612erp.jpg
img1613k.jpg
img1614l.jpg

Last edited:
Northstar white! Just like my 99! Love it... Ima keep an eye on this build ;) it's about 95% identical to mine! Goal, power level and parts LOL. Twins!

Last edited by a moderator:
Northstar white! Just like my 99! Love it... Ima keep an eye on this build ;) it's about 95% identical to mine! Goal, power level and parts LOL. Twins!

Awesome, glad to have you Manny and beautiful car you have thereLOL
I can't wait to get started on this motor, I think I might do a wire tuck while I'm at it but we will see. I just added a 4" FP intake to the list so I'm looking forward to getting that soon. Now I have to pick up some valve spring for these Kelfords :hmm:

Car is really coming together, it looks awesome already. Can't wait to see it up and running :hellyeah:. I'm lucky though, I get to see it in person :thumb:.

Thanks for the comments guys, I can't wait to give this thing its first crank!
For now here's some more progress pics, I'm working on the motor tomorrow but got a lot done tonight!

This is the messy part now:hmm:
img1635ag.jpg
img1636b.jpg
img1637d.jpg
img1638se.jpg

Last edited:
oem shift knob!!
I'm taking donations :p

At least this one threads on like the stock one LOL.

Update,
I'm still working on getting the motor out, more pics this weekend hopefully!

Oh and if anyone has a driver side front awd brake calliper or better yet just the outside bracket please lmk!!

The 7 bolt is out! Time to clean up the trans & engine bay, possibly get it built up a little and wait on the motor to get here:D

img1657w.jpg
img1673cz.jpg
img1669i.jpg

Last edited:
I'm working on cleaning the trans up and installing a new clutch fork, pivot ball and clutch.

The motor is on the way, 6 bolt with 2g pistons, rebuilt 1g head, arp's and my kelfords will be installed shortly after with Hks cam gears and kiggly springs! Can't wait to rev this thing up to 8k on this setup!!

Great work so far. White 2gb's are very nice looking cars.

I would consider putting the black leathers back in though, they were a little beat up but looked great and are pretty rare. Only 99's had that option.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back