The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Project Black Sheep - 97 GSX Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zArlen

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2012
Erie, Pennsylvania
Well, I got the first part of my project for Christmas from the parentals, and since that gave me the incentive to start doing side work again and working some OT for car part money, I figured now is as good of a time as ever to start a build thread for my 97 GSX.

First off, my history with tuner cars is very very short... I purchased my 2g back in March after little research of what these cars are capable of. I am 20 years old and a body man/fabricator at a local Hot Rod shop of all places so one would expect me to go and by a Hot Rod or muscle car as my first project, but after working on old cars all day, it's nice to come home to something different. As one may expect, I receive a decent amount of negative talk from a few of the guys at the shop since I decided to get into tuners as well as hot rods, but it hasn't phased me at all. My limited experience with tuner cars however makes me feel out of place hanging around with the local tuner crowd though so with that said, project Black Sheep seemed to describe both the car and myself perfectly. A Hot Rod builder that's building a 97 GSX? Can it get any more out of place? haha

Anyway, I may have a lot to learn, but just like learning how to weld or learning to do body work, I'm jumping in head first, and I'm not really intimidated by much. I straighten and polish stainless trim and aluminum parts at work as well as the final block sanding before paint on high dollar hot rod and custom builds, so my attention to detail is high. Everything from polished hardware and intercooler piping, to shaved valve covers and a sinister grey/black/dark purpler theme throughout the car is going to bring my custom car experience into my tuner build.

I've got big plans for the car, and I'll make sure to get a basic plan/parts list posted on here as well as pics of what I am starting with sometime later today, as I don't have the time right now, but my goal is to build a car that not only looks threatening, but can hold it's own when the light turns green as well. It won't be the fastest out there, but it'll sure be one of the coolest.

Overall I am looking for a semi-reliable (in DSM terms) car built on the stock shortblock to make 350-400 awhp. The parts I have selected should be good for AT LEAST those goals, with room to grow if I wanted to build a stronger longblock and jack up the boost later one... minus the addition of stronger axles and more tranny work.

Edit: Parts list added

Engine:
- Rebuilt stock shortblock
- FP 71HTA Turbo
- FP turbo/exhaust manifold
- FP Intake Pipe
- Kelford 272 Camshafts
- Upgraded valve springs
- FIC 850 injectors
- Walbro 255 fuel pump
- AFPR
- ETS Street Intercooler setup
- Modded (not crushed) 1G BOV
- Apexi N1 Downpipe
- Apexi N1 exhaust
- Gates blue belts
- Manual Boost Controller
- Punishment racing O2 housing

Cooling-
- CX racing aluminum radiator & electric fans
- Custom air scoops in front bumper

Trans-
- Mostly Stock
- Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit
- ACT Streetlite Flywheel

Tuning-
- DSM Link V3
- AEM Uego Wideband
- AEM Boost Gauge

Suspension-
- Ksport Coilovers
- RM Racing Front/Rear Sway Bars
- Energy Suspension Poly Bushing Kit
- Power Slot Front/Rear Rotors
- Hawk Front/Rear Brake Pads
- Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines
- Avid Racing Motor Mounts

Body/Interior Misc.
- Repaint stock Grey
- OEM front bumper
- OEM Side Skirts & GSX Spoiler
- Carbon Fiber Chin Spoiler/Front Lip
- Painted Center Tail Light/Lens
- Other "surprise" goodies.

Overall I am expecting to have around 12-15k into the car by the time all is said and done, and I',m just an average Joe when it comes to pay. It's going to be a long term build... probably around 3 years or so. I know people are used to faster paced build threads, but if you follow this one I can assure you that you'll see high quality work and details that most people would look over.

Last edited:
Hey man, don't feel out of place. Im a lowrider and muscle car guy who also loves DSM'S too , so welcome to the family=) Just make sure you read up on everything your doing before any modifications go on the car. Congrats on the GSX , i will be watching this thread to see your progress. GOODLUCK with your build

Just figured I would post some pictures of what I am starting with and the first part of the project that is what's responsible for me wanting to get the ball rolling on this thing. I feel like I've rescued this thing in a way... it went under the knife with a little ricer styling before I got my hands on it. Poor thing =( Just letting you guys know that everything will be replaced with OEM body parts from mitsubishi before it gets repainted.

423291_3223802628115_1884952089_n.jpg

429616_3223803548138_66965542_n.jpg

417338_3223804188154_1211522675_n.jpg

432273_3223806788219_641637541_n.jpg

423630_3223808468261_198008674_n.jpg

And here are some pictures as it sits right now in the garage. First thing this spring (after tax return time) will be too get this bad boy on jack stands, take out all of the stock suspension, rust treat and seal the bottom of the car, and set it back down on new suspension parts and a freshly prepped engine bay for when the motor goes back in.

536819_3958938046041_25472438_n.jpg

534908_3857863039229_888228770_n.jpg

534815_3509778657337_1727742327_n.jpg

380673_3509779097348_801157583_n.jpg

Lastly, the first part of the car and my motivation to get back to working some overtime and doing some side work to buy more car parts! ExtremePSI spark plug cover.... which will look great with a shaved valve cover and old little trick odds and ends.

207901_4634401652209_777728240_n.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back