The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

project 99 gst....(the 500hp ww)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herms99gst

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2009
stanley, Virginia
I purchased my first dsm back in july of 2009 for a mere 1800 dollars!! The body is in beautiful shape the only problem was the head gasket was blown.....so for 5 months i looked online and came across this site and realized how big the dsm community really is. This got me extremely excited and made me really want to get this project on the road. I pulled the 7 bolt motor and decided to go with a 6 bolt block and use my 7 bolt head....so far here are the parts i have gathered

ARP Head studs
Oem Main bolts
Balance Shaft Delete
Cometic Head Gasket
JMFab torque plate....for future machine work
Arias Pistons 8:1.....picked up on craigs list NIB for 250!!:hellyeah:
Eagle rods...same person 250 bucks

So far thats all my wife will allow me to get..LOL my goal is a 500hp weekend driver/track car. This is not my DD.
If i could get ne input on any other mods or ideas that would be great.
Im open for any and all suggestions

You don't need to torque plate and stick with the OEM Mitsubishi or MLS head gasket. And I don't know how much you're willing to spend but it takes more than you'd expect to make 500 HP. You have to build the block, head work, fuel system, turbo, drivetrain, etc...

I would have got atleast 8:5:1 pistons like the 2g's come with but looks like a motor that will be able to take 500whp but the rest of the setup is the fun part. EVeryone knows you pick good forged internals and arp hardware but which turbo you do it with what you will use the car for what kinda fuel you will use all stuff that will come into play. Not to mention that's only half the egine :) Enjoy the journey it's def fun

there are alot of options and different routes to take. 2.0,2.1, strokers spend a couple weeks readin on here and you will learn alot. its all in what your lookin for.

the torque plae is more of an oppinionated descisson. Because i plan on running a great deal of boost i chose to use the plate to get the best ring seal possible. As for the head gasket the run i pulled off of my engine was a oem mitsu. with only 97,000 mile on it. Apparently the guy beat the crap out of this car. I went with cometic b/c im getting all my machine work done ne way, so the decks going to be smooth enough to seal the cometic...(the head will also be machined)...The turbo sett up is another story...ive been looking at hx40's..but i called up rre and a guy toled me if i wanted a easy 500hp to go with a gt35...or 40 i cant really recall. Research Research Research....than finally buy a part..LOL...thats how its been so far

the torque plate is more of an oppinionated descisson. Because i plan on running a great deal of boost i chose to use the plate to get the best ring seal possible. As for the head gasket, the one i pulled off of my engine was a oem mitsu. with only 97,000 mile on it. Apparently the guy beat the crap out of this car. I went with cometic b/c im getting all my machine work done ne way, so the decks going to be smooth enough to seal the cometic...(the head will also be machined)...The turbo sett up is another story...ive been looking at hx40's..but i called up rre and a guy toled me if i wanted a easy 500hp to go with a gt35...or 40 i cant really recall. Research Research Research....than finally buy a part..LOL...thats how its been so far

well i just dropped my crank off at carquest today....the owner said the crank appeared to be in great shape..when i pulled it there was no scoring or exessive wear.....acct. for a 91 6 bolt, it was in better condiion than my 99 7 bolt when i pulled it....their going to check to c if i can reuse the crank .Their going to polish and clean i for me if t is in useable condition. only time will tell. One more ? be 4 i start yappn.. i asked the shop if they can hone the mains for me...they said that they dont hone< but they can rebore them and i can use he same size main bearings...is this correct..i dont want to secound guess this guy cause he has been a machinist for a long time< but i would like to get some in put on it..thanks..................sorry i dont post every day...i get on this site as much as i can but with night shift and a 8 month old its harder thanu think...im extremely persistant with accomplishinb my 500 hp goal....im not rich so this will take time......LOL...and i realize that...but i dont think this site is going ne where ne time soon so imma keep on up dating and let everyone no whats going on.....thanls for your feed back and i hope to here some input

well i just got around to picking the crank up and it looks nice. Now i just have to save up a few etra dollars to finish my machining on the block....i still have to purchase my rod and main bearings though. AFter the block is put together ill finish it u with the front case, water pump and timing assembly....should i stick with the oem waterpump and front case? I know imma stick with oemon the timing assembly but what aboutt the others....ne feedback would be great

I would stick with oem if money is not a problem. I have been running a gates timing belt and balance shaft belt, and have had great success. I also would think about replacing the hydraulic tensioner with a solid mount tensioner. The oem hydo. tensioner can fail with high power applications. Focus on cooler intake temps too. I guess you have the egr return blocked. Do you have e85 near by, I love e85, been running it for two years, and run a/f ratio of 12 to 1 with zero knock from 3k to 8k.

thats some really low compression pistons, i would have at least ran 8.6 or 9.0 i guess your gonna be running a lot of boost ???? i hope

fyi man it takes a lot more then that to make a 500 hp dsm, my parts list is twice as long as yours and still adding up..im almost 5k deep in my build but i'm also doing powder coating, and spray the engine bay..

good luck man

i havent even began really getting into this car yet. I just started gathering things together so i can complete the short block by the end of april. My foucus than will be in the head....Im just taking little steps right now so i dont get too burnt up on the project. I never knew ne thin about blocking off the egr valve, i apprecitae the input, ill have to look it up on here and get some more insight on it...and i also look into a solid tensioner...i have some pics here of some of my stuff i figured id show off....the reason i went with the lower compressioon was bc i heard that you have a bigger window for tunning when it comes to mistakes. And this will be my first car ive tuned....and they r 8:7 my mistake.

just ordered my fp beehive springs from forced performance...also got my valves,guides,and lifters in today...purchased the valvetrain - springs from engn buildr off of ebay

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back