The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Project 93 - 93 AWD Talon street build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0de

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 22, 2012
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Ok, so this is my first time building a DSM. Previous to this I've been a die hard 3000gt/Stealth fan (I've owned 2 in the past). I've also owned a 2003 BMW M3 that i tried my hand at modding, but its way too damn expensive.

Backstory:

My last stealth was one of the first DR-800 turbo cars running around on the street, now its time for me to build my first DSM.

As of 10/2012 I've relocated to Jacksonville,FL all the way from Chicago, IL. Before leaving I picked up a 93 1g auto AWD talon from a friend in Illinois. There were lots of new parts including a new evo big 16g, head was redone, new sensors, water pump, etc... Unfortunately everything but the block was outside the car, so we had a little over a week to assemble it.

After putting together the motor and diagnosing some minor issues (boost leaks, injectors, etc) It was finally drivable 1 day before I had to leave for Florida.

And oh yes... I drove it all the way to Florida (was scary).

After making it to Jacksonville I decided that the significant rust on the under-body of the car and all of the additional maintenance it would have to forgo before I could start really modding it, that it wasn't really worth modding, so I bought another one :)

Along with the new talon I decided that I wouldn't daily the 1g Auto because of reliability, so i also picked up a Nissan Titan the following week.

Cars:

93 Auto AWD - evo 16g, 2g maf, 550cc injectors, ECU Link v3, overboosting issue :confused: (still curious about this one but haven't invested too much time into it)

91 5-spd AWD - PRE 6076e, 750cc injectors, eprom ecu w/dsmchips chip tune, rewired 255 fp, dnp t4 exhaust manifold, 44mm precision wastegate, 2g pistons, AFPR (cant remember brand).

IMG_20121117_152411.jpg

IMG_20121117_152434.jpg

Goal:
Looking for 600+ HP
For the 93 the build will consist of:

Engine:
2.3L Stroker 9:1 compression
Manley Rods
Wiseco Pistons
Ported Head, 1mm oversized Valves

Fuel:
1600cc FIC injectors
2x 255 walbro fp, rewired
Aeromotive FPR

Exhaust:
JMF top mount t4 manifold
Sound Performance Quick Spool Valve

Boost:
PRE 6466CEA DBB, twin scroll
fmic - brand undecided
bov - tial Q

Driveline:
shep stage 4 Trans

Tuning:
ECU Link -Running SD

Journal:

Ok so i bought the 92 for $1500 with a trans that has a cracked bell-housing. Also note that the ear on the block (where the dowl pin goes) is missing (apparently cracked off). Obviously the block will need to be replaced but I'm having something fab'ed up for it in the mean time while I build another block (or 2) for it.

11/30 - I was looking for a new bare block to start my build.. well I found one and It happened to be a pretty sweet deal as far as I can tell. A local craigslist ad showed someone selling a full 4g63 longblock for $250 but they were uncertain of if it worked or not. The deal included the block, head, cams, adjustable cam gears, valve cover, alternator (not sure if works), power steering pump (not sure if works), and the intake manifold. Note that the head/intake manifold were from a 2g but it was in fact a 6 bolt block. In the end, I got the whole thing for $150.

After disassembling the new motor trying to figure out what was wrong with it I discovered nothing wrong at all, as a matter of fact there wasn't even any carbon build up on the pistons, it looked like it had never been fired up. The head looked pretty new as well. Probably one of the best finds I've ever had (ill post pictures in about an hour from now, im at work).

11/31 - pulling the trans to reweld the case, as well as create the bracket for the mount piece where the ear fell off (I honestly don't expect it to last, but only need to to last for maybe 30 days of nice weekend driving).

IMG_20121202_134635.jpg

I dont have a before picture of the crack in the trans :ohdamn:
But here is the after pic.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

Bought it in this condition, some of these wires will need to be dressed up. Ill share the after pictures soon.
IMG_20121202_121142.jpg

The block I picked up for $150. Ill be sending it to the machine shop to get it honed, cleaned and pressure tested.

IMG_20121207_190543.jpg

IMG_20121207_190631.jpg

The pistons that came out of the block. Look like they've had a little residue build up (like its been sitting for a long time)
IMG_20121207_190522.jpg

Last edited:
The car is up and running today. Ill post pics later. Drove it around a bit and it pulls hard as hell with the PRE6076 in it @ 28psi. I was having some idle issues with the 272 cams, Ill have to install the adjustable camgears I have laying around so i can degree them (vac @ -6 inches @ 900rpm idle). The issue was only present just after starting the car, after 30 seconds the car will hold idle on its own and sounds rather healthy.

I have a 2g transmission that is cracked in the same place. I think mine was caused by having a tab from one of the heater core hard lines stuck in between the top two bolts. where all the bolts in your tranny?

I have a 2g transmission that is cracked in the same place. I think mine was caused by having a tab from one of the heater core hard lines stuck in between the top two bolts. where all the bolts in your tranny?

The crack that this trans suffered from was due to the previous owner (btw the oil is so black its not even funny, definitely changing) somehow installing the trans wrong and by some sort of demon magic cracking the ear off of the engine block. The ear towards the front of the car (it has a dowlpin on it which goes/bolts into the trans), so the trans was only held on by three bolts with a maniac doing AWD launches.

Where are the all the bolts in my trans? well i removed them, some are to the trans mount, slave cylinder & its line bracket.

Ill have to get pictures of the car and the fabjob of the new bracket which holds the front part of the trans now. It wont be until the weekend that I can take them.

So.. I was able to get my hands on a built 2.3L stroker long-block with eagle rods and wiesco pistons, ported head, and hks 264 cams. This engine is pretty much new and hasn't been run. The deal on the engine also came with a 93 AWD Talon roller for $1000. I was able to sell the roller for $750 making my overall cost for the engine $250.

IMG_20121228_184720.jpg

IMG_20121228_192740.jpg

IMG_20121228_193339.jpg

IMG_20121228_191125.jpg

Off to a great start so far, not bad for $250. Next I need to run through the engine to make sure everything was installed properly, sell the hks 264 cams and get some hks 272 cams + adjustable cam gears. After that has been done I can order a jmf top mount manifold.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the car has been sold, but fortunately it was sold to put together money for a 99 GSX (which I've already purchased). The build thread will start on the 99 once i have it shipped down to me (soon).

Almost forgot to mention this. I was able to get a great deal on a 2g head w/ ported/knife edged intake and exhaust sides, 5 angle valve job, 1mm oversized intake valves (all supertech valves, w/ dual springs), and GSC S2 cams. All head work was done by Apex Automotive Engineering which ironically does machine work for AMS and sound performance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back