The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Project 8 seconds/2,000lbs 2g Talon TSI Utah

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What thickness is require for the front windshield, rear and sides.

Lexan is very pliable and conforms to shapes easily unless you work with very thick pieces which I dont think it would be the case.

I have done windshields just by starting on one end and riveting as I go there is not much of a curve on any front ones and the rears the same, in the case of the rear, ours have a little more but usually a thinner lexan is required.

Never needed a heat gun or an oven.

What thickness is require for the front windshield, rear and sides.

Lexan is very pliable and conforms to shapes easily unless you work with very thick pieces which I dont think it would be the case.

I have done windshields just by starting on one end and riveting as I go there is not much of a curve on any front ones and the rears the same, in the case of the rear, ours have a little more but usually a thinner lexan is required.

Never needed a heat gun or an oven.
For NHRA it is 1/8" for the windshield and then on the other windows it does specify a thickness. I wouldn't go any thinner than 1/8" though. The windshield and rear hatch don't need to be formed too much, but they do have a small curve.

My FAL molded speedglass

224968_10152413927235624_1250876623_n_zpse97cb8d5.jpg

20130102_223422_zps241d073b.jpg

These windows are molded to original factory size and shape, and install identical to original glass and feature 2" black borders just like the OEM glass...

Looks good!^ Is it regular Lexan or is it the coated Lexan with the Margard MR10 coating?

Looks good!^ Is it regular Lexan or is it the coated Lexan with the Margard MR10 coating?

They are not Lexan, Lexan is a brand of polycarbonate plastic. FAL speedglass are more durable and resistent to scratches than Lexan...

They are not Lexan, Lexan is a brand of polycarbonate plastic. FAL speedglass are more durable and resistent to scratches than Lexan...
Speedglass is just coated Lexan (polycarbonate made by GE) : FAQs About Polycarbonate Windshields

From their site:
"Isn't polycarbonate just a fancy name for Plexiglas?
Absolutely not. SPEEDGLASS is NOT made of Plexiglas. Our process includes a thermal cured hard coating on polycarbonate material made by G.E. (marketed under the brand name "Lexan"). Polycarbonate is known for it's virtually indestructible properties (250 x stronger than glass.) "

Speedglass is just coated Lexan (polycarbonate made by GE) : FAQs About Polycarbonate Windshields

From their site:
"Isn't polycarbonate just a fancy name for Plexiglas?
Absolutely not. SPEEDGLASS is NOT made of Plexiglas. Our process includes a thermal cured hard coating on polycarbonate material made by G.E. (marketed under the brand name "Lexan"). Polycarbonate is known for it's virtually indestructible properties (250 x stronger than glass.) "

Actually FAL doesnt use the word speedglass on their product, just molded windows.

Anyone have more info on this?
Check his other posts, they made an order for 10 people and it was a special order. If you want some you'll have to wait until they do another batch or buy from someone like me.

Dope! Good to see my friend car being rescued and resurrected. Looking forward to seeing you hit your Goal weight, thatll be one hell of a light 2g! Also possibly interested in the Lexan bits, would love to see the finished product you plan on turning out.

Dope! Good to see my friend car being rescued and resurrected. Looking forward to seeing you hit your Goal weight, thatll be one hell of a light 2g! Also possibly interested in the Lexan bits, would love to see the finished product you plan on turning out.
Thanks! I should have the Lexan kits finished in the next few weeks, I haven't had much time to work on them due to work.

I did get my window net installed but it is too short:
th_photo-48.jpg

th_photo-49.jpg

Sorry but there is no chance of this car reaching 2000 lbs. you would have to 100% start over and do it piece by piece and you would be lucky to weigh in at 2300.

Sorry but there is no chance of this car reaching 2000 lbs. you would have to 100% start over and do it piece by piece and you would be lucky to weigh in at 2300.
I guess we"ll see... Curious how you came up with 2,300 lbs

Front end is finished, starting to look like a real car now:
th_photo-50.jpg

Replaced all my 10mm bolts with stainless allen bolts and stainless washers:
th_photo-53.jpg

th_photo-52.jpg

th_photo-51.jpg

Damn this thing is going to be quick!

Very nice build! What's your expected completion time frame?
Thank you sir. I plan to have everything done by June 1st. If I can find more time to work on it it will be done a lot sooner.

If you run methanol fuel you can get rid of the radiator, fan, hoses, water pump, coolant, etc. to get another 50 lbs out or so.

If you run methanol fuel you can get rid of the radiator, fan, hoses, water pump, coolant, etc. to get another 50 lbs out or so.
That has actually crossed my mind. What all is needed to run straight methanol besides huge injectors and two pumps? My plan was 2200cc injectors and twin Bosch 044 pumps on C16 fuel.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back