The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Professional paint refinishing tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bvsoloman5000

5+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2016
Wadsworth, Ohio
Hey there guys!
I tried to search, but im new, and have not completely figured out how to navigate the site.
I am not very mechanically inclined, but i have been painting cars professionally for close to 12 years. (In the garage since i was about 15)

so- if there isnt already a thread- would anyone be interested in some good step by step info as to how to paint your own car in the garage and save thousands of dollars?

i feel like i can not truly contribute much to this site yet because I'm using your posts learn and get familiar with my car. (Mechanically)
However, i can absolutely help anyone who wants to learn the refinishing side of things!

again, if this has already been addressed i apologize!

But if not, and even one or two of you would be interested, i wouldnt mind taking the time to write up a good step by step that could be used universally on anything.
From bath tubs to cars LOL and do my best to get back on here every day at least on my lunch break to help answer any questions!

let me know folks!
This is the only skill i have to share so far, and everyone likes a nice shiny paint job 🤤
Thanks!
-Brian

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You are in the right spot Brian. Nice looking finishes on those parts and cars.
I would welcome a writeup on a DIY paintjob and all necessary tools/supplies/equipment that is needed and steps to do it properly.
Please contribute what you can, we are all here to help out and a good paint man is a good thing to have.
We have engine guys, trans guys, turbo guys, interior guys so a Paint man on board is something all of us might have a question or two for you if we want a "pretty, shiney" car!
Marty

Okay, so i vegged out last night in the garage for about 4 hours typing up and editing a good crash course. Im about half way done, but its pretty long so ill have to work on that so it isnt boring, just informative!
i will get some photos today at work to help show what im trying to explain, and then i will get to editing the thread. I am guessing i will have to post it up in steps? (Not sure yet how long one post can be)
But i will try to get good descriptive photos and get to some editing and proof reading.
It may take a day or two to get the right pics and to edit everything.
Stay tuned!

I have just about finished up my write up, just a warning though its somewhat lengthy. Lol
I tried to take some good pics of some of the steps that i explained today while im at work.
I will probably be posting this up in pieces, as i am not sure how much i can post at one time.
But i will get it together here and have something posted up, hopefully by friday!
But feel free to send me a message any time if you have any questions man! I am happy to help!
Thanks for the reply, stay tuned for the post!
🤘🏻

And if any of you guys are in the northeast ohio area, and want a little hands on help, let me know! Im out of wadsworth, a few minutes away from medina and about 30 minutes away from akron!

This thread is just what this place needs, now that all of our cars are getting up there in age. Maybe post it in a new thread split up in different sections so the mods could potentially sticky it

I’ve been debating whether I would want to commit to the expense of repainting my car. Originally in Maui blue, it was redone on the cheap in a lighter shade before I bought it. I’ve been told to get it done right at a shop where I live is like $5-10k, though I haven’t really inquired. If I could do it myself and have it come out right at a fraction of that cost, that would certainly move it way up in my priorities!
Thanks for taking the time to share, and don’t worry about too long a write up. We wouldn’t be on this site if we weren’t interested. One thing you might consider adding, if you agree, is how to R&R the various DSM-specific trims.

Another thing that would be helpful would be to link to the products one would need off Amazon or other others sites, advice on which brands you prefer and for what reasons, etc.
I will do my best to get part numbers for everything, i spent some time today adding them to the write up!
Im sure you could put the part #’s into amazon and find them! If not, any local paint jobber should have them on the shelf so you can walk out with materials in hand! If if they dont have the exact same stuff, they will get you the closest substitute!

This thread is just what this place needs, now that all of our cars are getting up there in age. Maybe post it in a new thread split up in different sections so the mods could potentially sticky it
I will start it in a new thread so its all in one place!
Anybody got any ideas as to what the title should be to make it easier for folks to find the thread? Thanks for your support!

I’ve been debating whether I would want to commit to the expense of repainting my car. Originally in Maui blue, it was redone on the cheap in a lighter shade before I bought it. I’ve been told to get it done right at a shop where I live is like $5-10k, though I haven’t really inquired. If I could do it myself and have it come out right at a fraction of that cost, that would certainly move it way up in my priorities!
Thanks for taking the time to share, and don’t worry about too long a write up. We wouldn’t be on this site if we weren’t interested. One thing you might consider adding, if you agree, is how to R&R the various DSM-specific trims.
That maui blue is one of my favorite colors on a dsm… and thats a good idea about tips for r&i on these cars specifically. My car is mostly all together with an empty engine bay. Maybe ill try to get a few of the more difficult panels off and get some good pics. Only problem is that i am far from ready to paint mine LOL fun, fast, function then form! But i will take a look at it and see if i can help!
If anyone runs into r&i issues before i can post anything, feel free to throw up some pics and ask away!
and thanks for the support! Im hoping to have everything neatly written and posted up by tomorrow night!

Alright, Ill bite the bullet here. I will offer up my 97 Talon as an example piece for you to do a DIY/How to example on restoring/refinishing paint :)

I know, I'm a saint and sacrificing a lot here. You all can thank me later.
Haha that is the ultimate sacrifice bro 😂 you are a brave man! Ill tell you what, you help me get the motor/trans in the car and hooked up and ill help you prep and paint your little monster!
(Not to blow my secrete project… but i am only an hour away from buschur… last friday i stopped in and legit got to talk to the man himself… which was like seeing a rockstar in person! im thinking i will let them make a bulletproof block and head for me, that way my newb self has a better chance at not killing it) LOL
Thanks for the support brother!

Alright guys, i am going to try to hijack my gf’s lap top tonight while shes at work and hopefully get pics inserted in to some of this thread. If i cant get the whole thing smoothed out, i might post 1/2 at a time. I set a goal for today and im going to try really hard to meet it!

Last edited:
Can anybody give me some pointers as to how to take a write up from my “notes” on my iphone and post it up here?
I cant get it to include the photos that are in the write up, its just giving me blank spaces!
I just finally finished this write up, and now i cant figure out how to post it LOL
Computers hate me!

Last edited:
Brian, put it all into WORD and do a spell check and proof read it then just copy and paste into the thread you start.
Idk what the title should say but something like "The DIY Guide To Painting Your Own Car" sounds like it covers the subject :)
Thank you for all of your effort!
I have painted my own cars before and any "shortcut" tips would be handy for me. I LOVE PAINTING but hate the body work and prep required.
Marty

Alright, thanks for the tip!!
I tried a bunch of different ways to get this from my phone to my lap top, with no luck.
But last night around midnight my girlfriend came up with a plan!
She said i might be able to sync my phone to her lap top, and save the write up to her computer from there!
Then ill move it to word, triple check my grammar and punctuation, proof read it for the 10th time and try to get this posted up!
Im sorry its taking so long. Haha i never thought this would be as difficult as it is!
You guys make it look easy 😎
Im gonna make sure this post goes up this week, and im gonna do my best to make sure the information is as helpful as possible!
Thanks guys, be back soon!

I am VERY interested in a write-up as well as tips/tricks too. I am literally in the process of starting a home project job of painting just the areas hidden behind things i.e. radiator support area and behind fenders but I have ZERO experience spraying paint so its going to be my first time attempting it. I have sooo many questions hahaha...

I'm interested as well. My car has a tired oxidized Napa Red factory paint job on it, it needs new paint, and I'm somewhat experienced, but haven't sprayed a car. I have a fair list of questions for you or others, likely some is covered in what you already wrote:

Should you remove the painted 1" wide roof drip rails (Or whatever they're called) or is it too risky damaging them? How are they removed?
Same question on the side trim strip and the lower body fairings. Obviously a trade off on crisper lines and better prep vs damaged irreplaceable components.

How much of a filter, dryer, regulator set up do we need on an air compressor?

Is a 30 gallon, 150 psi, oil free, 8.6cfm@40psi compressor big enough?

Choice of paint gun?

Has anyone repainted the stock turbine wheels? Do the center caps take paint well? Will there be texture issues when sanding the nubble finish, ie flattened high spots in the aluminum, and be a major project to get it to look decent?

How much can you tweak the color before it looks garish when you open the door and the old color is there? (Subjective I know) I'd like to go a few clicks towards a redder red, the Napa Red is too maroon-purple.

Recommendations on masking tape. I've liked the vinyl tapes especially for curves, but they can leave a ridge, paper tapes can have leakage and not be a crisp line, fine line tape works well if it's straight and you keep it out of the sunlight, etc.

Any gun cleaning tips.

Do you have any wisdom on the door window trim against the glass that is a rubber bonded to a thin metal strip that universally goes to crap on all our cars, and leaves a jagged edge of old rubber?

Thanks, looking forward to your article.

Last edited:
I'm interested as well. My car has a tired oxidized Napa Red factory paint job on it, it needs new paint, and I'm somewhat experienced, but haven't sprayed a car. I have a fair list of questions for you or others, likely some is covered in what you already wrote:

Should you remove the painted 1" wide roof drip rails (Or whatever they're called) or is it too risky damaging them? How are they removed?
Same question on the side trim strip and the lower body fairings. Obviously a trade off on crisper lines and better prep vs damaged irreplaceable components.

How much of a filter, dryer, regulator set up do we need on an air compressor?

Is a 30 gallon, 150 psi, oil free, 8.6cfm@40psi compressor big enough?

Choice of paint gun?

Has anyone repainted the stock turbine wheels? Do the center caps take paint well? Will there be texture issues when sanding the nubble finish, ie flattened high spots in the aluminum, and be a major project to get it to look decent?

How much can you tweak the color before it looks garish when you open the door and the old color is there? (Subjective I know) I'd like to go a few clicks towards a redder red, the Napa Red is too maroon-purple.

Recommendations on masking tape. I've liked the vinyl tapes especially for curves, but they can leave a ridge, paper tapes can have leakage and not be a crisp line, fine line tape works well if it's straight and you keep it out of the sunlight, etc.

Any gun cleaning tips.

Do you have any wisdom on the door window trim against the glass that is a rubber bonded to a thin metal strip that universally goes to crap on all our cars, and leaves a jagged edge of old rubber?

Thanks, looking forward to your article.
You asked about refinishing the stock turbine wheels: I’ve done that. Mine was a fairly lengthy process. Lots of wire brushing, light sanding, etc to get the old paint and oxidation removed. I might get them glass- beaded if I were to do it again. I used some Rust Oleum rattle-can Aluminum Primer, and the their silver wheel paint on top, and their clear coat wheel paint on top of that. Center covers took paint fine, though they do have a slightly different sheen now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back