The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Production line worker signed bumper mystery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUPOK

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2013
Riverdale, New_Jersey
Got an odd one here and after doing some digging I figured I would put this out to the group.

While working on a 97 Talon I noticed the inside of the front bumper cover is signed and dated with another number 107

I believe this was done on the assembly line since it was dated November of 97

But the 107 is a mystery. Was it the 107 car that person assembled?

Anyone else ever see anything like this?

Clues?

Attachments

• IMG_2165.JPG
    IMG_2165.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 124
Honestly it could mean anything. Sometimes team members are assigned numbers so they can verify who installed it. But it could just be a bored worker. I used to put my initials on every abs control module I installed at the kia factory just so I could check in the future which ones I helped build.

I'm curious if anyone ever found anything else signed on their cars too.

It's a real piece of Americana. You won't find any bumpers from China signed.

Never seen anything like that on my car, but I had a house built a while back, and the first time I went in the attic, I saw that someone had written "This house is f@#$ing haunted!!" on one of the roof joists. Gave me a little laugh.

The rear bumper I used from a 2gb Talon was signed by Nancy with some numbering as well. There is a factory applied vin tag that is applied over the writing.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm converting my 1995 Talon to a 97+ Talon, so I have a few bumpers in storage along with some older stuff from some spare cars.

Looking at my 2gb Talon bumpers, they too had some initials and writing on them. I didn't snap any pictures but will the next time I think about it.

I'll have to check out the 1995s bumpers along with the other 2ga Talon rear bumper in the attic, see if it has anything.

I used to work in Spot Repair for an OEM Bumper Manufacturer. Most bumpers aren't made, painted, or assembled in house.

We had to put our number in every bumper we touched, if you inspected it, or sent it away for production.

I did spot repair of paint defects, and I had to sign, and number all my bumpers.

If you ever see a Mercedes Benz bumper, spoiler, or Rocker Panel with a BMW roundel, or a cock and balls in it... Good chance I had to fix that one. Also my number was 13343 so yeah, good chance I fixed a bumper, spoiler, or rocker panel if it has that number inside. Of course... those are merc stuff. We used to do nissan too. I always put 3 Diamonds in the Nissan stuff.

Reviving an old thread...

I also found markings inside my stock bumper. Too bad I threw it away...

But look at this. I found it in my door panel. It says J. Mattingly 153. I think the numbers are assigned to each person.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back