The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Problems with shifting at high speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SazonSerg

Proven Member
Mar 20, 2019
Elmont, New_York
Car shifts normal when driving on street but once it hits 50mpg or higher the rpm are very slow to drop and it stays in gear

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Um, first, we need details on your car, year, turbo or not, awd or not, manual or auto, miles, overall condition, recent work done, past issues and how they were dealt with, etc. And, it would help if you held the phone horizontally, to match monitor landscape mode and to get all the gauges at once.

Um, first, we need details on your car, year, turbo or not, awd or not, manual or auto, miles, overall condition, recent work done, past issues and how they were dealt with, etc. And, it would help if you held the phone horizontally, to match monitor landscape mode and to get all the gauges at once.
Well if we do some quick investigative work it's easy to find out it's a 98 auto GS-T...the rest of your list is valid.

Car shifts normal when driving on street but once it hits 50mpg or higher the rpm are very slow to drop and it stays in gear

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Does it do anything strange when (noises/jerky) slowing for a stop light or sign or only under engine load?
It might not be a bad idea to inspect the torque converter for visible damage, check transmission for leaks or damage, and fluid level. Check the electric plugs on the transmission for damage or corrosion and damaged wires. These are just simple easy things you can do for free just to get started.

Does it do anything strange when (noises/jerky) slowing for a stop light or sign or only under engine load?
It might not be a bad idea to inspect the torque converter for visible damage, check transmission for leaks or damage, and fluid level. Check the electric plugs on the transmission for damage or corrosion and damaged wires. These are just simple easy things you can do for free just to get started.
When I come to a stop it kind of jerks a little trans fluid looks good and I recently had fuel filter changed injectors cleaned and it shifts good on street but when I get to 3rd gear is when it kinda does that or high speed

Gst 1998 automatic 117k fuel filter was just done and cleaned injectors

So it kind of feels like a slipping clutch in a manual transmission? When you apply the gas and the revs jump does the car accelerate any or does it kind of stay the same?
Like if I floor it it will change gears at least from 1 to 3rd can’t go faster due to cops out here but when I floor it the rom will go down slow on highway and when it comes to a stop it kinda feels like it’s letting out pressure with a little hesitation when I brake

Gotcha. Don't floor it anymore that way you don't get a catastrophic failure of the transmission and have to replace/rebuild it. If you have any mechanic buddies or know one you trust to give it a proper diagnosis. The external things i mentioned before could get you closer to the culprit but i know if it were me i would want to know the condition of the torque converter. If it is an internal issue then it might get tricky. If it comes down to full rebuild it might be better to source another transmission, a more cost effective route i suppose. Drive the car sparringly if you have a backup car until your issue is resolved.

I did find this thread maybe this has info that relates to your issue.

Take a drive and EASE into a hi rpm, maybe you just have a stuffy exhaust. :idontknow:

Gotcha. Don't floor it anymore that way you don't get a catastrophic failure of the transmission and have to replace/rebuild it. If you have any mechanic buddies or know one you trust to give it a proper diagnosis. The external things i mentioned before could get you closer to the culprit but i know if it were me i would want to know the condition of the torque converter. If it is an internal issue then it might get tricky. If it comes down to full rebuild it might be better to source another transmission, a more cost effective route i suppose. Drive the car sparringly if you have a backup car until your issue is resolved.

I did find this thread maybe this has info that relates to your issue.
Thank you 🙏🏾

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back