The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Problems with 01 Malibu ignition switch cylinder.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aramane

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Des Moines, Iowa
I just got done "installing" an ignition switch cylinder on the gfs Malibu. It wont turn all the way to the left so I can't pull the key out and it is now stuck on acc. I put the old one back in and it works just fine. It looks as if there is only one way those things can go it (you have to turn the key to the middle position to be able to depress a key so you can slide it in).

I have no idea why the old one will go all the way to the left and the new one wont. When outside of the ignition switch assembly the cylinder will turn all the way and the key will come out, but not while it's installed. The parts store swears up and down that it's the right cylinder.

The housing that receives the cylinder can be worn too.
But I bet the cylinder is not right, try another one.
But look over the housing & shift lock cable assembly real well.

With the cylinder out and key in, are all the gates flush? Pictures might aid here. Detailed , CLEAR pictures. Its as strait forward as can be, otherwise, something coded or punched wrong.

Here's the Gm info.

01 malibu ignition cylinder replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back