The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Problems going into drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

84fiero4speed

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 15, 2003
Fargo_ND
Ever since I bought my car (last January with 48K on it), I've had a slight hesitation going into drive. Yesterday I noticed that it didn't go into drive on the first try and I had to go back to neutral then back to drive to get it to go in. Now today it wouldn't go into drive no matter how many times I tried. I put it in drive and reved the motor a little and it finally went in at about 2500 RPM and took off. It's a 93 2.0 N/T and has about 62K on it now. I just flushed the tranny about 2,000 miles ago. Any suggestions on what's wrong? The tranny is full and once it gets going there are no problems, it's just getting it into drive that first time. I'm hoping that this isn't a new tranny type of problem since I just bought a crotch rocket and don't really have the money to put in a new tranny. Any help would be great!

84fiero4speed said:
Ever since I bought my car (last January with 48K on it), I've had a slight hesitation going into drive. Yesterday I noticed that it didn't go into drive on the first try and I had to go back to neutral then back to drive to get it to go in. Now today it wouldn't go into drive no matter how many times I tried. I put it in drive and reved the motor a little and it finally went in at about 2500 RPM and took off. It's a 93 2.0 N/T and has about 62K on it now. I just flushed the tranny about 2,000 miles ago. Any suggestions on what's wrong? The tranny is full and once it gets going there are no problems, it's just getting it into drive that first time. I'm hoping that this isn't a new tranny type of problem since I just bought a crotch rocket and don't really have the money to put in a new tranny. Any help would be great!

Make sure the trans is full while the car is running in neutral.

If it is, it sounds like it's time to replace or rebuild your transmission.

-John

Yeah, I checked it when it was running at operating temperature in neutral and it was full. I guess I should start looking for a rebuild kit. How difficult is that to do? I found a kit for $150, is that a pretty good price or should I keep on looking? Is this something I can do myself or should I have a shop do it for me? I know quite a bit about cars and my brother and dad have been working on them their whole lives so I should have access enough experience to do it. How hard is the tranny to remove? Thanks for the help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back