The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Problem with gauge cluster/grounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstkl

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
SoCal, California
I was driving my dsm last night (about 1/4 mile to re-park it) and this happened after I parked. Curious if anyone had any ideas. I'm going to investigate it today/tomorrow, but any experience would be appreciated.

Before I took this video when I rev'ed, it did what it does in this video but then comes back on after a couple seconds. At the beginning I'm just putting the e-brake on and off, which at the beginning was completely turning the other two lights on/off. Then I rev it and they disappear.

Its worth noting that the CEL does not work, and all the bulbs are good.

2013 09 23 00 09 15 - YouTube

EDIT:

well I posted this here to see if any of the local guru's had seen this before but I'm guessing no one will reply LOL.

Anyways I had about an hour today so I checked some things. The wire from the ECU to the gauge for the CEL shows zero resistance, so its working, the gauge cluster idiot light power shows 12 volts, so the CEL problem must be ecu related.

As for the two other lights acting up,.. I'm not terribly sure, but I think the battery was somewhat low since the car has been sitting for a while, and the radiator overflow idiot light could possibly have been on because the connection was bad. The plug was full of gunk. Still doesn't explain why reving would make both appear/disappear together. I also measured the battery voltage while the gauge cluster was out with the car on and it appeared that the alternator wasn't working (11.5 volts) then after putting the gauge cluster back in it read 15.9 volts.

SO OBVIOUSLY....... my volt meter is probably low on batteries.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back