The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

problem testing for boost leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsegsx97979

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2004
springfield, Massachusetts
i tried to do a boost leak test with the valve stem rubber hose trick that hooks up to the turbo inlet and had someone look at my boost gauge as i was pumping the bike pump into the valve stem and got nothing on the boost gauge.... whats that mean? did i do something wrong?

kevin

I had this too I need to get a compressor. I don't think my bike pump was strong enough. I know I have major leaks but can't find them with the damn pump i going to try soapy water trick right now.

Unplug you mbc or turn it all the way up (in) as most will leak during a pressure test. LA97GST is right, bike pump isn't going to help you if leak or leaks are big enough which I suspect so in your case.

if you have a bigger leak it will let more air out then you can pump in with the bikepump. You need a compressor to be able to pump up the pressure faster then the leak is letting air out.
If you don thave that the air will simply just leak out as soon as you pump it in and you will never find a leak.

im gonna do more testing on thursday.. hopefully its just a boost leak... i just installed a turbo xs standard boost controller and i did the fuel filter catch can trick off the valve cover...

kevin

Try using an air pig also. It will hold enough air to do several tests. Also you need to be aware of where valves are sitting , sometimes the air will go right through your combustion chamber and out the exhaust. At least thats happened to me a few times.

my friend is gonan help me do the tests.... he used to have a dsm and also is a mechanic for bmw... so hopefully we can figure it out... im hoping its just a boost leak and thats it and then flush the coolant and im straight....

kevin

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back