The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Problem setting base timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob88

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2007
Portland, Oregon
I just got the engine assembled in my 1g and im trying to set the base timing.

Mods:

comp101200 cams
Adjustable cam gears
PTE 1600cc injectors
HY35 turbo
1g/2g combo
Link V3
Speed Density
ETS FMIC Kit
SMIM

The problem I am having is I can't seem to get enough advance. When I ground the connector the mark doesn't even show on the tab. at full advance of the cam position sensor it almost gets to zero.WTF

Anyone have any ideas? I have been playing with it for hours. The odd thing I noticed is the only way I can get it to run good is if I run the spark plug wires to the coil in the order of 2341 from front to back of the coil.

Thanks in advance!

Your cam sensor may be 180* out. Pull it off, spin the rotor 180* and reinstall. Put your wires back to stock configuration and try again.

Also, the way I set base timing is by shooting the light at the timing marks on the cam gears. It only works if your timi g light is adjustable. Set the light to 5* advance. The marks on the cams should line up horizontally, like this --.

I tried that. Its weird that it didn't change anything...I put the engine at TDC and lined the marks up on the cam sensor.

Have you tested for spark either with a noid light, or some other way? How sure are you that one of your coils isn't bad?

Also, what do you mean by 1g 2g combo?

Edit: it is also possible that the outer ring on your harmonic balancer rotated around the inner ring. If this happened, the timing marks are useless because it is no longer clocked in the proper position. I suggest getting your hands on an adjustable timing light, setting the light to 5* advance, and adjust the cas until your cam marks line up as I mentioned earlier. I bought mine at harbor freight for $25, its not mechanics quality, but if I use it 10 times ill be getting my money's worth.

This thread goes into detail about setting base timing with cam gears. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...-timing-without-using-lower-timing-cover.html

Did you take the plug off the back of the motor to see if it was timed right cause there are three stages to our dsm timing. The plug is located below the starter to the left if your under the car. The plug is a 14mm socket. Take you'r screw driver an then insert it into the hole if it only goes in 3/4 to and inch that means you'r balance shaft and oil pump is still out. And a nice little trick to get you'r oil pump timed put the timing mark at 12 o'clock and if it falls back to be in line then you'r good if it goes the other way spin it one more time. Then take that screw driver and stick it in the hole on the back of your block and if it goes in more then 2.5 or more inches you'r bottom end is timed. I hope that helps you out cause like other dsmer's we sometimes lean the hard way.

If the dowel pin on the balancer pulley is close to the 3:00 position at TDC with cam marks dead straight across from each other, that's gonna call it being in mechanical time.

But, you could take the pulley off and check your belt sprocket mark to oil pump cover with the cam marks to be sure.

This condemns the balancer pulley out of the equation.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back