The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Problem during acceraltion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruie

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2011
Ames, Iowa
I have searched around and cannot find anything. The other night I got on the gas, 90% acceleration at like 5k rpm's, my motor just like stopped for a second. Nothing. Than went back to normal. But it like completely stopped. I than shifted into 3rd and got on it again to see what was going on. Did it again at mid 4k rpm's. I don't understand whats going on.
After these 2 instances it didn't do it again. However tonight while driving, It came back. I have been driving as easy as possible since the 1st occurrence. Just wanted to see if it was still there tonight.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be lots of things but the most common is the fuel filter getting plugged or the fuel pump is about to go out. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter and fuel pump? Also, does the problem happen when you're going at a steady speed or does it only happen when you step on it hard? Did this happen all of a sudden for no reason out of nowhere or did it happen right after you modified or worked on it?

Last edited:
sounds like a fuel supply problem run it to that point let off the gas for a second then get on it. if it pulls hard after letting the fuel come back up then cuts again you know you need to fix or upgrade your fuel system.

Yes- I just got the car 2 months ago or so, The fuel filter is like the last thing I have to do. I have no clue when it was last changed. It only happens during like full acceleration. Even at like 80% its perfectly fine. Also it happened all of a sudden. The only things I have done to it recently are oil and pcv valve.

Boosteclipse- Its running 16psi right now. Everything on the profile is correct, so yes no tuning device. It like buck and jumped, I didn't lose power just really weird.

Im going to do the fuel filter soon and see if that changes anything. I have an extra purolator one that fits. Does it matter? Or should I go buy a good one?

Did you change your plugs? Or look at them? Gap them correctly?

Check the electrical connections to your coil pack, cas, cps, igniter, etc.

If all of those check out good, then move on to fuel filter and pump.

If it persists after all of that then spark plug wires may be culprit as well.

A faulty injector is a long shot, but still a possibility.

Have you done a recent boost leak test?

Are any of your vacuum lines getting old and cracked?

When I had bought it, 2 months ago, he had done the plugs and wires recently. They looked like brand new still. I have already checked the connections everywhere.

About the boost leak test, no I have not. I have been trying to get around to, but like I said I just got it, have just been running through maintenance stuff in my free time. I was already planning on doing a leak test, that's just going to have to be sooner.

The lines look old, but not bad. I am going to replace them sometime soon, but they will be okay for awhile.

If it happens more often at night, then it might be happening more often when the outside air is cooler. This fits the fuel-cut theory.

ps. alternatively, your car might simply be smarter than you are and doesn't want to race every BMW it comes across on the street....

What I would do if it was me is bring the boost down to factory wich is 7 psi if I'm not mistaken and run it full boost for a couple days or a week and see if it goes away, then raise it back up to 16 psi and see the difference. If it only does it at 16 psi then you probably have to tune it but if it does it at 7 psi too maybe theres something going out.

It just rolled over 90k WTF

I'm going to do a boost leak test asap, and i will check my plugs. Does anyone know about these avc-r's. This thing seems like a pain and I havnt messed with it much since I bought the car. I read the owners manual, but still am way confused. I would prefer not to turn it to 7psi and than back up :p

but it will feel faster if you go to 7psi then back up!!ROFL

could be your plugs mine was cutting out and it was as simple as the wrong gaps also did you check your oil lately?

Yea, I just went to get a wire guage gapper, and could find anything decent. I have one that does .25 and .30 so im going to just check them and see if thats the problem once the sun comes back up. Id turn it down if I was confident I wouldn't mess something up.

Hey this is just a thought. You know how to drive turbo cars right? Youre not supposed to press the gas pedal all the way down to the floor. You need to throttle sense you boost. You knew this right? Again, it was just a thought because some people have done this before and they think there is something wrong with their cars.

I floor mine and have no problems. So do a lot of my friends. YES look at some dsmlink pulls people make, it goes 100% throttle, and its nothing but whiplash from there on.

But anyway, check to make sure your plugs are gapped to .026ish, look under your hood at idle when its dark out, and make sure your plug wires arent grounding/arching anywhere, DO A BOOST LEAK TEST of course, and check your connection to your Power Transistor which is right beneath your intake manifold on the right hand side. Fuel cut is another possibility, but it would be very consistent, as well as progressively getting worse if its your fuel pump going bad. Remember the boost leak test! Also, if your running higher than stock boost, you could be running lean, or you could be tuned too rich, or you could be knocking. Too many possibilities, without seeing a log.

Yes I know all this. I have checked mostly everything you have said, but I couldn't find anywhere with a decent wire gapper. It is either the plugs or the fuel system.

Im going out of town until tomorrow, so this is going to be on hold. But on the flipside, my control arms and new cambers came yesterday!

Wow, this thread seems to be going 'broken arrow' here.
First, WOT pulls are perfectly fine, if the tune is set up correctly... There is no need to work the throttle while building boost pressure unless you have a 2wd and don't like wheel spin.
As for the OP concern. 16 psi is pushing the limits of the stock fuel system without some sort of tuning device, especially with the fuel we are given at this time of year.
As air temerature drops, the molecules become more densely packed and therefore require more fuel to combust efficiently. In essense, there is more air in the air.
With that in mind, if this was the first hard pull in the colder air, you have reached fuel cut. A feeling that you have hit a wall while driving. This happens because the fuel mix leans out to the point that the ecu can't increase fuel injector pulse width and add fuel to overcome the amount of air entering the engine.
I would recommend that you save yourself an impending rebuild and turn the boost pressure down to 13-14 until you can at least get a logger to monitor what is happening. Recheck all the basics to be sure that everything is well. Start saving for the upgrades that you will need to 'safely' run 16 psi or better.
Best of luck !

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back