The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

problem almost figured out, so here's my final clutch question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourG63 97GST

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2002
West Palm Beach, Florida
Think I found the reason why I destroy release bearings
think it was never adjusted right to begin with

but does the bearing have to be constantly in contact with the pressure plate?

I think mine has some play in it, so it slaps the PP everytime I disengage the clutch, hence 2 bearing a year

my throwout bearing always squeeks.. its irritating, i put in a brand new OEM one.. 1 week later.. it squeeks at idle with clutch out..

ive just given up on it.

the throwout bearing ISNT suspsoed to touch the pressure plate when the clutch is out... if you have it constantly touching, it will wear out very very quickly. you should have 1 inch of play in the pedal before you can feel the T/O bearing touching the pressure plate.

Actually, the TOB should be touching the pressure plate fingers at all times. There's nothing in the slave cylinder that pulls the TOB back away from the fingers, so it will ride the fingers with a very light pressure. The one inch of play is to keep the system from building up hydraulic pressure in the slave, which then puts pressure on the TOB and wears it out. The one inch of play occurs due to the open loop fluid system the master cylinder employs. More info here: http://www.taboospeedshop.com/cmc.htm

As far as your clutch problems, I have no idea, but your initial theory at the top of this thread could be correct.

What's making you think that the TOB is smacking into the pressure plate fingers? You're always going to feel some play in the pedal unless you do Taboo's changes. I was kind of hoping he'd pop in here, he knows the clutch system on these cars as well as anybody.

tryin to find a reason why they wear out so fast
my car wont disengage now, and I get vibration in the clutch pedal.
so I think it wore/know its worn out again. I put an OEM one in this April

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back