The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Problem after problem! :/

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdouglas89

Proven Member
Jul 8, 2013
Davenport, Iowa
So, I just recently bought a mostly stock 99 gsx. I knew DSM's always had issues, but when will it end?!

I have been replacing parts after parts to keep this car maintained, and running well. Thermostat, Rad cap, plugs, wires, ordering new injectors. Now I just had to buy a new Alternator because mine has been failing on me.

I am decently inclined at working on cars, but I am nowhere near awesome. I can generally figure it out if I mess with it for a bit, But idk if I can figure out how to get the pully for the alt off!

Well, my rant ends here haha. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Edit : Btw, I have been getting all my information from this forum, and you guys are awesome! /Search is your best friend.

With most vehicles it has a tensioner. So remove the bolts from bracket and such and the tensioner and lift up on the alternator and then you should be able to get the belt off no problem.

You don't need to remove the alternator pulley. New one comes with the alternator.

^ I thought he asked how to remove the alternator not the pulley. As he says why would you want to remove the pulley?

Ya just remove the bolts and the alternator will loosen up belt put new one on and put bolts back in till your belt is snug but not supper tight.

The pulley comes with the alternator. Disconnect the battery, pull the bad unit, replace in reverse order, hook up battery....simple.
If you bought an alternator without a pulley, you sir, are cheaper then 90% of us here. If you are going the under drive direction, stop now, our cars have the worst electrical system to under drive. Just my .02.

^ I thought he asked how to remove the alternator not the pulley. As he says why would you want to remove the pulley?

I didnt realize the alt came with the pulley till just now haha. I have never done an alt before, nor really looked at one, so this is gonna be an interesting experience I guess. Browsed the forum, and followed someones guide. Doesn't look all that difficult.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back