The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

General Probably need new mtxl

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam's GSX

5+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2018
Hohenwald, Tennessee
Ok so I have been having a problem with my wideband switching to "htr" mode or E9 mode while driving, (I'll explain the pattern at the bottom.
I figured my sensor was getting burnt because it's only about 1 foot from the turbo on the downpipe, so I ordered a new sensor, and rerouted it to the rear o2 location, but just tested it and obviously that didn't fix it somehow. I'm about to buy a new mtxl system but thought I'd ask here first, if anyone has had this problem? And if it could be anything else so i don't waste even more money haha.

Now for the pattern of cut outs
It started about 2 months ago, it would start in htr but never read, it would stay on htr the whole time, that was for about 5 days, after that it would take a little long to switch from htr to a value, but it would work, that lasted about 2 weeks, then it start pretty randomly cutting out for sometimes a few seconds and sometimes the rest of the trip, then a couple of days before I was supposed to go to the strip, it would stay on htr, (strip ended up being closed) so now it will read but will switch to E9 or htr for a few seconds at a time.
(Sorry for the long post)
Any help is appreciated.

Don't know if it's the controller & I don't use a MTXL but it wouldn't hurt to double check the wiring especially the ground. WBO2's can be picky with the wiring setup. I've had my best luck when wiring ground straight from the battery. Haven't noticed power being as picky.

Last edited:
I had a bunch of issues with my first mtx-l. I had placed the large connector (O2 sensor pigtail to the long cable that goes to the gauge) in a bad spot and the exhaust manifold melted it partially. The gauge would randomly error like you are seeing. I was able to make it more stable by zip tieing the connector together as tight as I could. Obviously yours may not be physically damaged like mine was but it is possible a bad connection. The connector would feel fully seated but it would definitely work better when secured tightly.

The mtx-l version that uses the 4.9 sensor have had many issues. Still hit and miss but definitely more than the old LSU 4.2. Have you checked into "recent" firmware updates?

Ok will do, any chance you could tell a quick run down of how to hook it up? I read over it on innovate, but it was a bit lacking in information, I do know where to get the update on my computer

Oh I just found the cable, (dvi correct?) Will I be able to do the update with it in the car? If I can get to the back of the gauge?
Yes, you may need a serial to USB adapter in order to link up to your laptop (it's not a dvi cable). But as long as you have access to the connections at the back of the gauge, it's easy to do the firmware update with the gauge still installed in the car.

I accidentally left the key in the in position over night and got the e9 code which is for low voltage. I checked my battery voltage and it seems fine so I disconnected the negative on the battery for a few seconds. WB seems good but haven’t taken the car for a ride yet.

This thread is little old but I will add this. After many years of running aem with no issues I switched to a mtx-L last year. Within 800 miles killed two sensors and all sorts of logging issues. Autometer now owns innovate from what they told me and maybe that has to do with this. The sensor was installed as specified and I think it has to do with the heating function acting badly on the new gauges. I got mad I pulled it out and threw it away and went to AEM X series and haven't looked back sense.

This thread is little old but I will add this. After many years of running aem with no issues I switched to a mtx-L last year. Within 800 miles killed two sensors and all sorts of logging issues. Autometer now owns innovate from what they told me and maybe that has to do with this. The sensor was installed as specified and I think it has to do with the heating function acting badly on the new gauges. I got mad I pulled it out and threw it away and went to AEM X series and haven't looked back sense.

Did you run any firmware updates prior to just trashing it? It’s pretty well documented that older firmware versions will kill sensors due to an inadequate heating cycle upon initial startup..

Sorry I meant to reply weeks ago, I hooked it up to do the firmware update, but it said it was already up to date.
My next step it to redo the power and ground wire, because it throws e9 a lot, which is low voltage

I did not as the gauge also stopped logging correctly to link in this time span as well. I checked voltage it was outputting from gauge directly and it was not constant with what value was on gauge.

After looking into it, I'm strongly considering going to the X.
Quick question, how hard was it to setup with dsmlink compared to the mtxl?

It can be hit and miss. I got lucky and one of the preset choices lined up perfect. But they also work great set up as a lin wideband. The issues with older AEM's is gone for as I can see being I ran one of those for many years.

I dont know if the difficulty comes from narrowband sim, but I dont need to if that helps, going to redo the wiring on the mtxl (if it ever stops raining) and if that doesn't fix it, I'll go to the x, I've have always heard aem doesn't work well with dsmlink, but those were old forums, I'm hoping the new one works fairly easily. Thanks man

The old AEM had to be set up as a lin wideband and even then it would sometimes do goofy stuff. The new X line works just fine.

Ok, I dont want to speak to soon, but I think I FIXED IT!!
I re ran the power wire from the fuse box to the cigarette lighter, it heated up in 15 seconds and I just drove an hour and a half without any problems.
Hopefully this helps if someone else has this problem.
Thanks guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back