The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Probably a stupid question about crankwalk

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vexiis

Probationary Member
Jun 7, 2005
Oceanside, California
Everyone talks about crankwalk and how it will destroy engines.
My question is, if you have the engine inspected for crankwalk and they find it in the beginning (or hopefully you never have it) how expensive is it to repair?

Also, if by some random chance you destroy an engine how much does a normal 7bolt cost on average?

If it has been asked I apologize I have been reading the boards and archives for a while now fairly extensively and haven't found it.

true, but the reason I'm asking is a hypothetical worst-case scenario.

Ah. Bench-wrenching.

Well, if it's just a matter of the end play of the crank being out of spec, it may be as simple as replacing the thrust bearing. Of course, this leaves you with the insecurity of not knowing what caused the play to get excessive in the first place. And such seems to be the world 7-bolters who dwell on CW live in.
I, too, disagree that it "destroys" an engine, but I don't think any of the "causes" of CW are always right. I also think the reason a true cure hasn't been more aggressively sought is that it's not as common a failure as the lip-service makes it sound. Then again, the low-cost and relative ease with which a 6-bolt can be obtained and installed pretty much precludes the utility in effing with the 7.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back