The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Prepping block for 2nd gen pistons.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsidrift1

15+ Year Contributor
May 12, 2004
Decatur, Illinois
I am going to be rebuilding my 6 bolt in my 92 talon. I get confused on the process of cleaning the block up and getting it ready for a rebuild. I was wondering what do I have done to the block to get the pistons to fit properly. Can i do any of it myself? I am going to get a used block and get it all cleaned up for the rebuild.

Thanks, Anthony

If you are using the same bore pistons, they will fit just fine when you put the rings on them and push them into the more.

Once your motor is apart, take the block into a machine shop to have the bore checked out. If it checks out ok and your pistons are ok, then you can re-use them. Just have them hone out the cylinders and you should be fine.

From there, you can install the crank, roda, bearings, rings, and pistons. Just make sure to double check all of your clearances and keep everything clean.

Nothing has to be done to the block outside of honing and reboring if you picked up a set of oversize pistons. The connecting rods will have to be machined to make the pistons fit. The bore of the wrist pin needs to be enlarged 1mm to a 22mm diameter. The top of the rods also need to be narrowed .100" from 1.140" to 1.040"

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If the pics don't show go here:
http://hometown.aol.com/rcm1061/myhomepage/auto.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back