The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Prepping 420A for turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNA666

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 29, 2002
Anchorage, Alaska
I have a 97 GS with the 420A, But I do have alot of miles 110,000. Mostly highway and the engine still runs real good. I want to eventually put a stage II on for starters.

What all do I need to strengthen my Motor? I hear about "building" it up. What exactly does this consist of?

Also since it is a Non-turbo, Do i want the RS/GS style header and exhaust systems when I order?

Thnaks for any advice.

Yellow box> you.

Anyways when they say build up they usually mean your bottom end aka piston and rods and other things. You can find bottem end kits at HowellAutomotive.com or form Motofool at Gottude.com.

As for turbo kits.
WWW.turbosystem.com
www.imoto.com
www.gottude.com
Theres more sites but I cant think of the names.

There will be an exhaust manifold that comes with the turbo kit. You will have no use for a regular header once you go turbo so don't waste any money on that.

A regular RS/GS exhaust system will have to be used or something custom. I have heard good things about the Thermal exhaust system. Good luck.

Originally posted by DNA666
Also since it is a Non-turbo, Do i want the RS/GS style header and exhaust systems when I order?

Any exhaust for the GST or TSI ( not the AWD model) will fit your car. If you go turbo do not get less than a 2.5" cat back. If you plan to make a lot of power someday then go ahead and get the 3".

Now that's an intelligent well thought out answer! Way to give the man the advice he wanted! I think I can retort to your comment in just as imature a fashion.
3. Get crankwalk in the 4g63
4. buy new 420a and do it right this time.

If I wanted a 4G I would sell/trade my car in and get a factory GST or GSX. I want the satisfaction of being unique in my city, (Anchorage, Alaska) and learn about cars from the whole experience :)

So................ All the relevent advice is appreciated guys, I thought this was a NA conmversion forum? Apparently someone has stepped on the wrong side of the tracks:thumb:

SO I guess I am still a little dim ln this issue.

1) Headers = DONT waste time?

2) Catback = Any Cat designed for a GST or TSI (non AWD) will fit my GS? So I could order one from like Greddy or another aftermarjet source? Or should I get one from a wrecked out GST?

Thnaks guys.

Originally posted by DNA666
If I wanted a 4G I would sell/trade my car in and get a factory GST or GSX. I want the satisfaction of being unique in my city, (Anchorage, Alaska) and learn about cars from the whole experience :)

So................ All the relevent advice is appreciated guys, I thought this was a NA conmversion forum? Apparently someone has stepped on the wrong side of the tracks:thumb:

SO I guess I am still a little dim ln this issue.

1) Headers = DONT waste time?

2) Catback = Any Cat designed for a GST or TSI (non AWD) will fit my GS? So I could order one from like Greddy or another aftermarjet source? Or should I get one from a wrecked out GST?

Thnaks guys.

If you plan to eventually get a turbo kit, I'm sure it will come with some type of exhaust manifold. If that's a long way off, a header might be a good idea.

Not to be continually discouraging, but I happen to know a guy who sank about 8 grand into a naturally aspirated 420A and could just barely take a stock gst.

just for the record redwards..... i beat my buddy's 98 gs-t (stick) last night.

he has the following mods.... 3'' turbo back exhaust, boost guage, boost controller, egt gauge, a/f ratio gauge, hard intercooler piping, and he is running 16psi.

i on the otherhand have a star stage I kit and custom downpipe back 2.5" exhaust and am running 7psi on my t3/t04e turbonetics turbo...

so, your buddy must either have some big problems with his car, or it isnt tuned properly.... Im stumped i guess! cause my car rips, and its still non intercooled!

Originally posted by 97eclipseRS
i wonder if tha 8 grand that redwards is talkn bout is all into tha engine of that 420a or maybe its all looks with in intake and exhaust supplying tha performance:confused: :dsm:

LOL!!! good call man... :dsm: :thumb:

Originally posted by 97eclipsedGS
just for the record redwards..... i beat my buddy's 98 gs-t (stick) last night.

he has the following mods.... 3'' turbo back exhaust, boost guage, boost controller, egt gauge, a/f ratio gauge, hard intercooler piping, and he is running 16psi.

i on the otherhand have a star stage I kit and custom downpipe back 2.5" exhaust and am running 7psi on my t3/t04e turbonetics turbo...

so, your buddy must either have some big problems with his car, or it isnt tuned properly.... Im stumped i guess! cause my car rips, and its still non intercooled!

...like I said, a friend who put 8 grand into a NATURALLY ASPIRATED eclipse.

And consider how badly your friend would've spanked you if he had a t3/t04.

Some of the comments here are rediculous, maybe he just wants to turbo his car? So help him. I did mine. I could buy a GST/X if I wanted, I could buy an Evo if I wanted but I chose to keep my NT talon, turbo it, and hold on to my 02 Mustang GT instead of get an Evo, I am happy with my ESI, very. Some people would just prefer to do there own work and not pay higher insurance, get the satisfaction of doing their own car them selves, so on. I hang out with a lot of DSM guys here, I am one of only 2 nt's with a turbo in town around about 5 2g turbos and about 20 1g turbos, they don't see the need to rag on me for choosing the route I did, why do you guys rag on this guy for what he wants to do? It's his money, he has made up his mind, just help him with the parts selection and leave it be. DNA66, if you need any help on parts choosing and such, email or pm me and I will do my best to help you out with no headaches, if I don't know the answer, I can find out. Later.

Originally posted by redwards

...like I said, a friend who put 8 grand into a NATURALLY ASPIRATED eclipse.

And consider how badly your friend would've spanked you if he had a t3/t04.
would've???... man, thats great. and think of how bad i would've spanked him if i had a saleen s7.... BUT I DONT. dont you own a gsx??? if you dont have anything semi-intelligent to say about n/t's then get the hell out of our forums. cause there are plenty of 4g63 guys that help out the N/T guys all the time, guess you just arent one of them.

and your wise comparison of your buddy with the all motor 420a to a turbo is pretty irrelevant considering this kid is talking about TURBOING his car, NOT going all motor.

is your gsx stock? too bad you live so far away.... anyways, you would beat me if you had a t3/t4... BUT YOU DONT... and I DO. but, you would've........
:thumb: :rolleyes:

and for the orginal question....either the star stage II or the hahn stage II is a great choice for turboing your ride. however, just know that inevitably things will go wrong, so prepare yourself for the unexpected.

i would say a howell automotive bottom end kit with 8.6:1 pistons would be a wise choice.... thats what i eventually want to get.

does anyone know where you can buy just a turbo manifold for the 420a..cuz i've been lookin everywhere for one..i got a guy that can make me a tubular manifold but its pricey..

Hahn sells just the manifolds, they are a bit pricey as well though. all of them are going to cost a bit. Also I think you can buy the Star version from overboost.com. That is someone here and on 2gnt who makes them but I can't remember his name though, maybe he will reply.

"Not to be continually discouraging, but I happen to know a guy who sank about 8 grand into a naturally aspirated 420A and could just barely take a stock gst."

i have won races against stock and 4g63 with some small mods with only 9psi of boost back in the day. the 4g63 motor is good, but dont doubt what the 420a can do.
cool

man i can't wait to spank the 4g63's so that people like that can kiss my ass!! dude u are doing the right thing with turboing that 420. i am doing it too. bring on the comments.... u know what when u are paying out the ass for insurance and we aren't but we are saving that money and we beat ur tsi or gst we don't want u to change ur mind or see u cry. leave us alone and stay in ur own forums. posotive stuff only. we are here to get help or to help people so do that and that only!!

with the comment..... get a lower end kit! u will need that if u boost a motor with that many miles on it. i have heard nothing but good things about the stage II hahns kit. (i don't know for my esi isn't turbo yet) thats what i have found in my research. good luck and take pix so u can help others when they want to do it!!

Tony D
DR

OBX makes a turbo manifold for the 420a. I dont remember if its equal length or not but they do make one

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back