The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved Precision SCM6131RS Capabilities?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well dam Jus. What is the bad thing, the bearings, thrust plate, impellers???
"Yes". :p

Mainly the thrust system as the plate which is used on these units is actually a T2 thrust plate because the bearing housing is so small...meaning this would be the size-equivalent of using a standard TD04 thrust plate on a S300 or HX40 in terms of thrust load vs. wheel specs.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Apart from that it's just a journal bearing Chinese knockoff of a GTX3582R that you can buy on eBay all day everyday for $350ish.

When they first appeared on FP's website they had a disclaimer saying the turbo should be used at or below 20psi of boost pressure, but somewhere along the way that information was removed from the listing.

I asked FP about it and got the claim that it would be good up to 700hp so I take that as bullshit then. I knew you would know if I asked. No wonder it was "cheap" because it is "CHEAP".
Thanks Jus!! :thumb:

I asked FP about it and got the claim that it would be good up to 700hp so I take that as bullshit then. I knew you would know if I asked. No wonder it was "cheap" because it is "CHEAP".
Thanks Jus!! :thumb:
Here's a little hard data from one being put to the test at the Shootout for those who may not be on Bookface. Keep in mind this was the ball bearing version; airflow seems a bit lackluster but still very capable unit for the price...although the low peak airflow may likely be attributed to the density difference in his setup being non-intercooled. To compare, we saw a peak of 72.6 lb/min at 38-40psi with the $450 60mm cast HX40 a decade ago on a setup that went a best of 9.12 @ 158 (and later 80.6 with the billet compressor which went 8.77 @ 163), and that entire unit was US-made having hailed from Charleston, SC in a Bullseye turbine housing that was cast in Muskegon, MI. At the end of the day it's pretty much 60+mm turbos doing 60+mm turbo things....people just get excited when they think they're getting a deal, and that's what keeps the commerce world turning. :idontknow:

If you're going to be pushing it and you want it to last, get the ball bearing version for sure. The journal bearing unit is likely just as capable performance-wise but will not withstand the thrust loads over time.

I'm also re-titling this thread as it's not longer merely an identification concept. Carry on. :)

Good. Except I would have no idea that there could be so much interesting info just from talking about the Precision SCM6131RS.
I'm thinking of this thread now as more like "Capabilities of Precision SCM6131RS, FP HD3582, and Pulsar budget turbos".
Or something like that.
There is some really interesting stuff in here.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back